Responsibilities when working with a mentor or tutor
When working with an assigned mentor or tutor your responsibilities are:
- Appointments will be arranged at a time convenient to you.
- You must contact your mentor to cancel if you cannot attend an appointment.
- You will be contacted if the mentor/tutor needs to cancel the appointment (e.g. illness). The mentor/tutor will contact you to reschedule your appointment when they return
- If you do not attend and do not give 24 hours’ notice of cancellation this will impact on the number of sessions available to you with the mentor across the semester.
- If you do not attend three successive sessions your file may be closed and you may require to be re-referred by a disability advisor.
When meeting with the mentor/tutor you are expected to:
- arrive on time
- be prepared for the session
- take responsibility for your own learning
- help the mentor/tutor identify areas that are causing you difficulty at university and/or situations that you are finding challenging so that you can work on developing coping and learning strategies
- ensure an uninterrupted session
- treat your mentor/tutor with respect.
- You are expected to confirm that a session has happened via the online timesheet system (you will be sent an email prompt each week if you have a timesheet to confirm)
- You are expected to confirm sessions where you have given less than 24 hours notice.
- Without this confirmation, your mentor/tutor will not be able to be paid.
- If you are funded by Student Finance England, you may also be asked to sign a paper timesheet by your mentor/tutor.
- Confidentiality and information sharing will be fully discussed between you and your mentor/tutor.
- However, if your mentor/tutor has concerns about your immediate safety, or the safety of someone else, they will share relevant information with a third party. All attempts will be made to inform you of this at the time.
- The systems and safeguards to safely store data are in line with Data Protection Law. More information can be found via our Privacy Notice.
Feedback and Complaints
If you are unhappy with your tutoring/mentoring support, please contact the Student Disability Service so that we can help solve the issues.