Student Administration

Bank Introduction Letter

Guidance for international (non-UK) students.

Many banks require you to complete an online application form to open a UK bank account.   Your online application has to be supported by a digital copy of your bank introduction letter - this will be accepted by a selection of local banks as proof of student status and proof of semester time address (as per University student record system).

Non-EU international students must complete International Check-in before ordering a bank letter

Make an appointment for International Check-In on the Student Immigration Service web page.

How to get a Bank Introduction Letter

Students living in University of Edinburgh accommodation

  • If you are in University accommodation and have checked into your accommodation, use the 'Print Bank Letter' facility from the MyEd student portal.
  • Click on  the Student Life tab - Accommodation  - Launch Services - Year 2023/24 term time

  • Under the tab While You Are Here you will see an option to print your bank letter

  • Either Save As a PDF or scan the printed letter so you can attach it to your online bank account application

International students NOT living in University of Edinburgh accommodation

  • If you are fully matriculated, find your Bank Letter in MyEd --> Accounts --> My Student Record --> Documents.
  • Check that you have an Edinburgh address recorded as your semester address and your overseas address as your home address  in MyEd.
  • Send yourself a digital copy of your bank introduction letter, save it and then attach to your application for a bank account;

Please Note:

  1. We cannot address letters to specific banks.
  2. You must have a local semester address recorded on your student record. Your overseas address must be entered in the Home Address field. Please check your address on MyEd prior to requesting a letter.
  3.  If opening an account in branch - in addition to the bank letter you must also take the following to the Bank
    • Your Passport or EU Identity Card (all students)
    • Your Biometric Residence Permit (Tier 4 students)