Bank Introduction Letter
Guidance for international (non-UK) students.
Many banks require you to complete an online application form to open a UK bank account. Your online application has to be supported by a digital copy of your bank introduction letter - this will be accepted by a selection of local banks as proof of student status and proof of semester time address.
Non-EU international students must complete International Check-in before ordering a bank letter
Make an appointment for International Check-In on the Student Immigration Service web page.
How to get a Bank Introduction Letter
Students living in University of Edinburgh accommodation
- If you are in University accommodation and have checked into your accommodation, use the 'Print Bank Letter' facility from the MyEd student portal.
Click on the Student Life tab - Accommodation - Launch Services - Year 2019/20 term time
Under the tab While You Are Here you will see an option to print your bank letter
Either Save As a PDF or scan the printed letter so you can attach it to your online bank account application
Students NOT living in University of Edinburgh accommodation
- If you are fully matriculated, find your Bank Letter in MyEd --> Accounts --> My Student Record --> Documents.
- Send yourself a digital copy of your bank introduction letter, save it and then attach to your application for a bank account
- You can also place an order for a hard copy which we will post to your term-time address within 10 working days.
- You can collect a Bank Letter in person at the Student Information Point in Old College or Murchison House.
- Before ordering or coming to the Student Information Point, check that you are registered and have an Edinburgh address recorded as your semester address in MyEd.
- We cannot address letters to specific banks.
- You must have a local semester address recorded on your student record. Your overseas address must be entered in the Home Address field. Please check your address on MyEd prior to requesting a letter.
- If opening an account in branch - in addition to the bank letter you must also take the following to the Bank
- Your Passport or EU Identity Card (all students)
- Your Biometric Residence Permit (Tier 4 students)
- Bank of Scotland: 300 Lawnmarket, EH1 2PH [Location Map] and 51 South Clerk Street, EH8 9PP [Location Map]
- Royal Bank of Scotland: 30 Nicolson Street, EH8 9DL [Location Map]
- Barclays Bank: Unit 2, 10-15 Princes Street, EH2 2AN [Location Map]
- HSBC Bank: 118 Princes Street, EH2 4AA [Location Map] and 76 Hanover Street, EH2 1EL [Location Map]
- TSB: 9-11 Clerk Street, EH8 9JH [Location Map] and 16B Cameron Toll Centre, EH16 5PB [Location Map]
- Santander: Potterow, 5/2 Bristo Square, EH8 9AL [Location Map]
- Bank of China: 450 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G3 3JD [Location Map]