Bank Introduction Letter
For international (non-UK) students. This will be accepted by a selection of banks as proof of student status and proof of semester time address.
How to get a Bank Introduction Letter
Students living in University of Edinburgh accommodation
- If you are in University accommodation (and have checked into your accommodation) a Bank Letter can be provided by the 'Print Bank Letter' facility available via the MyEd student portal.
Students NOT living in University of Edinburgh accommodation
- If you are fully matriculated a Bank Letter is available via our Electronic Document Service which is accessed via the ‘Launch self-service’ button on Personal Details in MyEd. The Bank Letter can be printed or sent electronically via this method.
- If you are NOT yet fully matriculated (but you have registered) with the University a Bank Letter can be provided in person at the Student Information Point (Old College). You must be registered, have an Edinburgh address recorded as your semester address in MyEd and provide either your University Card or alternative form of identification e.g. passport.
- If you are fully matriculated a Bank Letter can be ordered and mailed to your semester address (within 10 working days).
1. Letters cannot be addressed to specific banks.
2. Students must have a local semester address recorded on their student record (please check address on MyED prior to requesting a letter).
3. You must also take the following to the Bank: your Passport (all students), your Biometric Residence Permit (Tier 4 students), or your EU Identity Card.
Banks which will accept a Bank Introduction Letter
- Royal Bank of Scotland: 30 Nicolson Street, EH8 9DL [Location Map]
- Santander: Potterow, 5/2 Bristo Square, EH8 9AL [Location Map]
- Bank of Scotland: 51 South Clerk Street, EH8 9PP [Location Map]
- Barclays Bank: 10-15 Princes Street, EH2 2AN [Location Map]
- HSBC Bank: 118 Princes Street, EH2 4AA [Location Map] and 76 Hanover Street, EH2 1EL [Location Map]
- TSB: 9-11 Clerk Street, EH8 9JH [Location Map] and 16B Cameron Toll Centre, EH16 5PB [Location Map]
- Bank of China: 450 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, G3 3JD [Location Map]