The University and Europe

Access to healthcare

Information for prospective students on health insurance and visiting the Doctor/Dentist whilst in the UK.

Private health insurance

(Updated 26 April 2021) 

For EU/EEA/Swiss students requiring a visa to enter the UK, you will need to need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge in order to access healthcare.

For those who don’t require a visa (e.g. successful applicants to the EU Settlement Scheme, Irish Nationals) they will continue to be eligible for healthcare through the NHS.

For the most up-to-date guidance, please see our Student Immigration webpages:

Healthcare for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals 

Visiting a doctor or dentist in the UK

(Updated 14 April 2021) 

All full-time students in Scotland have access to the NHS until one month after their programme ends, regardless of their nationality or immigration status. Information about healthcare is available from our New Students website.

Students studying on a 6 month programme, who enter via the Standard Visitor route and who experience an illness or accident, for example, will be able to access NHS treatment. This is provided for free however, standard visitors may have to pay for dentistry and some more specialised services. 

See “Healthcare and Insurance” for further healthcare information on the Standard Visitor route.

More information 

Healthcare for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals