New Students

Register with a local doctor and access your health services

Register with a local doctor to access NHS healthcare as a student, arrange learning adjustments if you have a disability, and find out how the University can support your health and wellbeing.

Register with a local doctor

Task 6
It is important that you register with a doctor as soon as possible after your arrival in Edinburgh. You can research GP Practices before you arrive, and then register once you are in Edinburgh. We want to make sure that you look after yourself whilst studying, both physically and mentally, and that you know how to get medical assistance if you need it.

Essential vaccinations and immunisations

Nurse injecting female patient
Information on the vaccinations and immunisations you are advised to have before you arrive at University. The University encourages you to protect yourself by having the appropriate vaccinations.

Get support if you have a disability or chronic health condition

Man in wheelchair speaking with a colleague
If you have a disability, chronic health condition, or learning difficulty, please get in touch with the Student Disability team as soon as possible. We can help support your learning. The sooner you get in touch with us, the better.

Dentists and opticians

Information on how to access dental and optician services as a student

Private health insurance

Health insurance form & stethoscope
Private insurance is an option for short term or visiting students who feel like they would like more medical support.

Access your student wellbeing services

dandelion blowing in the wing
Useful information and services to help you maintain your wellbeing.

Emergency services: call 999

For emergency services, including police, fire brigade and ambulance, call 999.

Emergency services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Emergency Departments (Accident & Emergency)

NHS 24: Call 111

NHS 24 provides health information and self care advice.

If you need to speak to a doctor outside opening hours (non-emergency) you can contact NHS 24 by calling 111.

NHS 24 online advice

Complete your essential top 6 tasks

Register your University Login and log in to MyEd

Get started on Office 365

Begin the Matriculation Process

Pay your fees and prepare your finances

Apply for your university student card