The Study and Work Away Service provides administrative support to students and staff participating in a broad range of Go Abroad activities.
Drop-ins and appointments
Following the Covid-19 outbreak, SWAY is transitioning to hybrid working. You can contact us by phone or by MS teams during our drop in hours.
Speak to us on the phone
You can contact the relevant team with any questions about your exchange from 2pm to 4pm on Tuesdays.
European exchanges: 0131 650 3017
Erasmus+ Traineeship: 0131 651 5096
International exchanges: 0131 650 4621, 0131 651 1077 or 0131 651 1071
Book a 1:1 Microsoft Teams appointment
If you are currently participating in a study exchange or traineeship, have recently returned, or are considering applying and would like to chat to a member of our Study and Work Away (SWAY) team you can now book a 1:1 Virtual Appointment. Appointments are available on Thursdays from 10 am to 12 pm.
Please note that these appointments are available for current University of Edinburgh students only.
Use the links below to access our booking forms and book a 10/15 minute appointment with either the European or International Programmes Teams:
Our European team specialise in study exchanges and Erasmus+ traineeships in Europe, including the EU, EEA, Switzerland and Turkey. You can book an appointment with a member of our study team, or our traineeship team.
Our International team specialise in study exchanges outside of Europe. For current exchange students booking an appointment with our International team, we encourage you, where possible, to select the member of staff with whom you have had the most contact throughout your exchange process. For general enquiries and those newly considering exchange, please select ‘no preference’ or ‘any member of staff’.
Details of how we use your information can be found in the University's Privacy statement
Things to consider before getting in touch
In some instances, SWAY may not be best placed to answer your enquiry, or there may be additional resources needed to help you in advance of your appointment:
- For specific academic related questions relating to overseas activity e.g. for selecting courses, we advise you to speak to your Exchange Coordinator.
- For overseas activity not managed by SWAY we advise you to contact your school in the first instance.
- SWAY staff cannot provide official advice on applying for visas. If you have been accepted on an exchange, your host institution will be best placed to advise.
- For Travel and Covid-19 related enquiries you can find information in our Travel FAQs.
- If you have not yet applied for exchange and are exploring your options please visit our website for a list of available destinations and Partner Guidance Notes and keep a look out for our information and promotional sessions coming up soon.
Like and follow our Facebook page for application deadlines, new opportunities and helpful tips on applying and going abroad.
Join our Facebook group to connect with past, present and future exchange students. Network, share experiences, and get advice from other students on your destination, accommodation, finances and much more!
If you need to get in touch with someone at the University in an emergency during your exchange, please use the following number: