The Study and Work Away Service provides administrative support to students and staff participating in a broad range of international activities.
Contact us by email
- For queries relating to outbound study exchanges in Europe, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For queries relating to outbound study exchanges outside of Europe, contact: email@example.com
- For queries relating to outbound work placements in Europe, contact: WorkAbroad@ed.ac.uk
- For queries relating to outbound work placements outside of Europe, placement-based dissertations, and language schools (either in or outside of Europe), contact: SWAYplacements@ed.ac.uk
- For queries relating to incoming study exchanges and other study abroad to Edinburgh, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For queries relating to staff mobility opportunities for University of Edinburgh staff, contact: email@example.com
- Contact the Projects team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop-ins and appointments
Following the Covid-19 outbreak, SWAY is transitioning to hybrid working. You can contact us by phone or by MS teams during our drop in hours.
You can contact the relevant team with any questions about your exchange or placement from 2pm to 4pm on Tuesdays.
- For queries relating to outbound study exchanges in Europe, contact: 0131 650 3017
- For queries relating to outbound study exchanges outside of Europe, contact: 0131 650 4621
- For queries relating to outbound work placements in Europe, contact: 0131 651 5096
If you are currently participating in a study exchange or traineeship, have recently returned, or are considering applying and would like to chat to a member of our Study and Work Away (SWAY) team you can now book a 1:1 Virtual Appointment.
Appointments are available on Thursdays from 10 am to 12 pm.
Please note that these appointments are available for current University of Edinburgh students only.
Use the links below to access our booking forms and book a 10/15 minute appointment with either the European or International Programmes Teams:
Our European team specialise in study exchanges and Erasmus+ traineeships in Europe, including the EU, EEA, Switzerland and Turkey. You can book an appointment with a member of our study team, or our traineeship team.
Our International team specialise in study exchanges outside of Europe. For current exchange students booking an appointment with our International team, we encourage you, where possible, to select the member of staff with whom you have had the most contact throughout your exchange process. For general enquiries and those newly considering exchange, please select ‘no preference’ or ‘any member of staff’.
Details of how we use your information can be found in the University's Privacy statement
Before getting in touch
In some instances, SWAY may not be best placed to answer your enquiry, or there may be additional resources needed to help you in advance of your appointment:
Read our Before You Go pages for information about visas, accommodation, funding, risk assessment, insurance and more.
Our Academic Matters page will hopefully provide some answers to your questions in the first instance, but for more detailed information about the academic implications of your study placement, you should speak to your Exchange Coordinator.
They will be able to advise on things like course selections, how your study placement will count towards your degree, how many credits or courses you need to take abroad, what happens if you fail a course abroad, and so on.
Contact your School to find out if they offer any additional study or placement opportunities abroad which are not outlined on these pages.
Should an emergency situation occur whilst you are abroad, your first action should be to make contact as soon as possible with your nominated contact at your host university or place of work, and your family. Your local contact often has the local knowledge and “know how” to advise and support you.
It is also very important for you to contact the University of Edinburgh.
University of Edinburgh emergency contacts during office hours
During hours emergency line (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm) 0131 651 5999
Please note this number is for emergencies only. In the event of a critical health and safety emergency during your time abroad, you should call SWAY to let us know if you have:
- Immediate concerns about your personal well-being or safety in your host country
- Immediate concerns about the general safety in your host country (e.g. heightened risk of conflicts, terrorism, natural disasters, sudden border restrictions)
- A medical emergency, or serious health concerns that will impact your activity abroad
Please note we will not be able to respond to your enquiry on this number if it is not a critical emergency situation. Please email us or call us during drop-in times instead for all other issues including visa issues, flight delays, late documents etc.
If you need to get in touch with someone at the University in an emergency outside of usual office hours (Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm), please use the following number: