Before you go

Compulsory pre-departure information sessions for study exchange and work placement students take place in April/May each year.

All University of Edinburgh students embarking on a University-led overseas activity for work, research or study must complete a risk assessment. 

Find out about funding available and the costs you need to consider for 2023/24 study and work away activities

Housing arrangements vary from institution to institution. Try to make your arrangements early to avoid stress on arrival.

Find out more about travel and health insurance and the Global Health Insurance Card

In order to study abroad legally you will normally need to apply for and obtain the relevant student visa or residence permit for your host country.

While there is always some inherent risk with any kind of travel, there are a number of steps that you can take to help you keep healthy and safe.

Before going on exchange, you must complete a Learning Agreement outlining your intended programme of study for your year or semester abroad.