Equality and Diversity
The School of Biological Sciences is committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all staff and students. Equality means ensuring individuals or groups of individuals are treated fairly and equally and no less favourably, specific to their needs. Diversity aims to recognise, respect and value people's differences to contribute and realise their full potential by promoting an inclusive culture for all staff and students.
Who we are and what we do:
- Interim Director of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion – Professor Sinead Collins
- College Dean of EDI in Systemic Inclusion – Professor Karen Halliday
- SBS Diversity and Inclusion Office – Kate Thornback
- EDI Administrator – Louise Bishop
The EDI leads, in conjunction with the Head of School, Director of Professional Services, SEC and the EDI Working Group shape and direct EDI actions at the School of Biological Sciences.
In 2020, some let activities were:
- Compiled and ran a Covid-19 Staff Survey to gain data on the impacts and disruptions for different types of staff.
- Undertook a thorough Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA) on new work procedures and return to campus plans for the School during and after the initial Covid-19 lockdown periods.
- Brought together a group of staff and students to brainstorm what and ideal School of Biological Sciences would look like in 2030 from and EDI perspective.
In 2021, the leads will work further with the EDI Working Group, continue collecting data from staff related to the ongoing impacts of Covid-19, and develop a comprehensive EDI Strategy.
Please direct questions to sbs.EandD@ed.ac.uk.