Jazz. Science. Books. Film. Comedy. Storytelling. Art. You name it; we’ve got a festival for it.
Edinburgh is home to the most varied and dynamic calendar of international events and festivals in the world.
There are 12 major annual festivals, each bringing talent from around the globe to our streets and stages, making the celebration of diversity an intrinsic part of the city's culture.
- Science Festival
- April. Innovative and educational events fostering dialogue about the future of our culture, our nation, our planet and our understanding.
- Imaginate Festival
- May. International festival of performing arts for children and young people.
- Film Festival
- June. Intimate yet ambitious festival promoting the very best in international cinema, feature films, shorts and documentaries.
- Jazz & Blues Festival
- July. The world's finest jazz and blues talent perform everything from bop, boogie-woogie and blues-rock, to samba, swing and soul.
- Art Festival
- August. The UK's largest annual celebration of visual art through exhibitions, performances, screenings, artist talks and guided tours.
- Royal Military Tattoo
- August. Spectacular performances by military bands and display teams on the Castle esplanade. An iconic Edinburgh institution that sells out year after year.
- International Festival
- August. Showcasing the best the world has to offer in classical and contemporary dance, music, opera and theatre.
- Festival Fringe
- August. The world's largest arts festival: thousands of performers take to hundreds of stages across the city to present shows for every taste.
- Book Festival
- August. The greatest writers and thinkers in the world gather to share ideas, entertain, inform and challenge.
- August. Scotland's biggest and best celebration of world music and dance.
- Storytelling Festival
- October. A celebration of live storytelling, oral traditions and cultural diversity.
- Edinburgh's Hogmanay
- December. One of the world’s greatest New Year celebrations, and one of the largest street parties in the world.
At the University
The University is the largest venue owner in the Fringe.
We are also responsible for the venues of many of its most influential companies.
We are the proud programmers of George Square Theatre, home to many of The Fringe’s top acts, year after year.