Learn from the best
As a student at Edinburgh you will learn from world-leading researchers.
Our global reputation for teaching and research helps us to attract the international research community’s sharpest minds, which in turn means world-class teaching for our students.
Our world-class academics are leaders in their fields, conducting groundbreaking research that directly informs the teaching you receive.
As a student at Edinburgh you will work alongside these academics and learn about the very latest developments in your subject.
Our approach to sharing knowledge and encouraging learning is recognised nationally and internationally. This ranges from the Royal Academy of Engineering adopting our Exemplars of Teaching Excellence to our pioneering development of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs).
Join us and be part of an enthusiastic community of pioneers, visionaries and scholars, with the chance of one day working on life-changing research yourself.
Edinburgh is renowned for biomedical research and I like that lecturers incorporate the latest developments into their teaching material. It keeps you up to date with what issues are facing scientists today.
Our academics’ research achievements have global implications:
- Nobel Prize winner Emeritus Professor Peter Higgs was a lecturer at Edinburgh when he proposed the Higgs boson
- we devised technology used in today’s smartphones
- our scientists created Dolly the Sheep, the first mammal to be cloned from an adult somatic cell
- we created the first genetically engineered hepatitis B vaccine
- we pioneered the first automated industrial assembly robot
- we have influenced thinking across the humanities for more than 400 years, from our central role in the European Enlightenment and the launch of the first English Literature department 250 years ago, to our continuing record of publishing era-defining works
We’re still working towards historic firsts today - new treatments for major diseases such as multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease and breast cancer; and innovative work to tackle climate change.
As an internationally renowned centre of academic excellence, we've forged collaborations with leading universities around the world.
Our partners include world-class institutions such as the California Institute of Technology, the Universities of Pennsylvania, Melbourne and Toronto, ETH Zurich, Heidelberg University in Germany and the Universities of Copenhagen and Amsterdam.
* Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014