Student Immigration Service

Working in the UK after studies

Whether you can work in the UK after your studies/student visa, and in what capacity, depends on the type of new visa you are switching into.

A Guide to the Graduate Route

The Graduate Route is a post-study work visa that will allow you to stay in the UK to work or look for work for 2 years after your degree has been awarded, or 3 years, if you have been awarded a Doctoral (PhD) qualification.

Global Talent visa

You can apply for the Global Talent visa to work in the UK if you're a leader or potential leader in academic or research, arts and culture, or digital technology.

Innovator Founder visa

The Innovator Founder Visa is for entrepreneurs seeking to establish a business in the UK. Applicants do not need to have any specific level of funds to invest in their proposed business, but must have an innovative, viable and scalable business idea, supported by a business plan, which has been approved by an endorsing body.

Skilled Worker / Health and Care Worker

The Skilled Worker visa is the main immigration route for migrants who wish to work in the UK.

Temporary Workers

The Temporary Worker visa route allows individuals to come to the UK to undertake specific types of work for a period of one or two years.

Scale-up Worker visa

The Scale-up visa is a work visa for individuals who have an employment offer at degree-level of above from a Scale-up sponsor.

High Potential Individual (HPI) visa

The High Potential Individual (HPI) visa allows individuals who have been awarded a qualification from an eligible overseas (non-UK) institution in the 5 years prior to application to come to/remain in the UK to work.