Dugald Stewart Building
- 3 Charles Street, Edinburgh
- Post code
- EH8 9AD
- Associate Fellowship (AFHEA), UK Higher Education Academy
- MA (Research) in Philosophy, National University of Singapore, 2015–2017
- BA (Hons) in Philosophy, First Class, National University of Singapore, 2011–2015
Responsibilities & affiliations
Committee Member for PPLS Equality & Diversity Committee, Other Protected Characteristics Working Group, 2020–
Committee Member for Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Group, 2019–
Organiser for EPiPHENy (Edinburgh Philosophy and Phenomenology) Reading Group, 2017–
- PHIL08016 Greats: From Plato to the Enlightenment - Spring 2018, 2019, 2020
- PHIL10179 Chinese Philosophy - Autumn 2018
- PHIL08015 Morality and Value - Autumn 2018, 2019
- THET08010 God in Philosophy: Plato to Hume - Spring 2019 (with the School of Divinity)
- THET08018 The God(s) of the Philosophers: Proposals and Problems - Spring 2020 (with the School of Divinity)
- Teaching Fellow
- PY041-401 Introduction to Chinese Philosophy - Summer 2019, 2020 (with the Centre for Open Learning)
Apr 2019, Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Spring Workshop: “Eastern Philosophy,” Edinburgh.
- "A Beauty Triumphant: The Paradox of Tragic Art and Bhattacharyya’s Concept of Rasa"
Apr 2019, MAP (Minorities and Philosophy) Glasgow Workshop 2019: “Us and Them: Violence, Discrimination and Minorities,” Glasgow.
"Voluntary Servitude and the Explanatory Problem of False Consciousness"
[forthcoming Apr 2020], "The Case of the Anti-Suffragists: Blameworthiness under False Consciousness," Nineteenth Century Research Seminars, Edinburgh.
Sep 2019, “Droll Diluvian Discourses: Zhiyan and Therapeutic Scepticism in the Zhuangzi,” Joint East Asian Studies Conference 2019, Edinburgh.
Aug 2019, “Voluntary Servitude and the Explanatory Problem of False Consciousness,” Social Ontology 2019: The 6th Biennial ENSO Conference, Tampere.
Jul 2019, “Blameworthiness, Victimhood, and the Case of the Women Anti-Suffragists,” Understanding Value VIII Conference, Sheffield.
Jul 2019, “Confucianism and Totalitarianism: Mencius vs Xunzi Reconsidered via Arendt,” 1st Oxford Symposium on Comparative Political Philosophy, Oxford.
Jun 2019, “Laughing with the Fish and Birds: Moral Failure, Therapeutic Scepticism, and Humour in the Zhuangzi,” Curing through Questioning: Philosophy as Therapy Across Ancient Traditions and Modern Applications, Oxford.
May 2019, Response to Keynote Talk, “Hermeneutical Injustice as Basing Failure” by Mona Simion, Edinburgh Graduate Epistemology Conference, Edinburgh.
Nov 2018, “We Are Living in a Predictable World and I Am a Predictable Girl: Voluntary Servitude, Social Construction, and Predictive Processing,” [with Kathryn Nave] 22nd Oxford Graduate Philosophy Conference, Oxford.
Jul 2018, “Voluntary Servitude and Blameworthiness: The Case of Women Anti-Suffragists,” 7th Hamburg Philosophy Summer School, Hamburg.
Jul 2018, “Virtue and Virtuosity: Xunzi and Aristotle on Moral Education and the Arts,” Educating Character Through the Arts, Birmingham.
Jul 2018, “Predicament and Predictability: Voluntary Servitude, Social Construction, and Predictive Processing,” [with Kathryn Nave] The Division of Labour and the Development of the Self: What Can ‘EEEE’ Cognition Theories Tell Us about the Capitalist Paradigm of Development?, Edinburgh.
Jul 2018, “A Predictable Predicament: Voluntary Servitude, Looping, and Predictive Processing,” [with Kathryn Nave] British Postgraduate Philosophical Association Annual Conference: Women* in Philosophy, Birmingham.
Jun 2018, "The Nativity of Politics: Hannah Arendt on Natality, Narrativity, and the Question Concerning Totalitarianism," Warwick Continental Philosophy Conference: Identity and Community, Coventry.
Jun 2018, "Doxastic False Consciousness and the Problem of Voluntary Servitude," Brave New World Conference, Manchester.
Jan 2018, "Truth as Terrible as Death: Doxastic False Consciousness and the Problem of Voluntary Servitude," OZSW Graduate Conference in Theoretical Philosophy: ‘Philosophy and the ALT World’, Amsterdam.
Jul 2017, "Han Feizi's Genealogical Arguments," 20th International Conference of the International Society for Chinese Philosophy, Singapore.
Jul 2017, "Confucianism and Totalitarianism," 20th International Conference of the International Society for Chinese Philosophy, Singapore.
Apr 2017, "Laughing at One's Own Moral Failure with the Zhuangzi," 4th Graduate Conference on Asian Philosophy, Taipei.
Apr 2016, "Han Feizi and the Genealogy of Virtues," 6th Singapore-Hong Kong-Macau Symposium on Chinese Philosophy, Hong Kong.
Sep–Oct 2015, "Banality and Blameworthiness: Moral Ignorance, Badness, and Bad Faith," Australasian Philosophy Postgraduate Conference, Adelaide.
Mar 2015, "Diluvian Discourses: Zhiyan and Therapeutic Scepticism in the Zhuangzi," 2nd Annual Triangular Graduate Student Conference, Singapore.
“Han Feizi’s Genealogical Arguments.” In Adventures in Chinese Realism, edited by Eirik Lang Harris and Henrique Schneider [forthcoming]
- “Virtue and Virtuosity: Xunzi and Aristotle on the Role of Art in Ethical Cultivation.” Journal of Confucian Philosophy and Culture 30 (2018): 75–103.
- PPLS-Gray Postgraduate Publication Prize, The University of Edinburgh, 2018
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship, The University of Edinburgh, 2017–2020
- College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences - School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences Postgraduate Research Award, The University of Edinburgh, 2017–2020
- Tan Ean Kiam Postgraduate Scholarship in the Humanities, Tan Kah Kee Foundation, 2017
- 陈延谦中国哲学奖学金（高级学位） The Kongzi Culture Fund Scholarship: Tan Ean Kiam Chinese Philosophy Award (Postgraduate), 南洋孔教会 Nanyang Confucian Association, 2015