Portal Services Manager
Argyle House, Floor H West
3 Lady Lawson Street
- Post code
- EH3 9DR
Duncan manages the Portal Services team, responsible for MyEd and two related services: notifications, and our SMS text messaging service.
He is also interested in the ways we can use website analytics to understand users and improve websites.
Duncan has worked for the University for over 15 years in a number of user support roles, and has been with Website and Communications since 2014.
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Provide effective strategic vision for Portal Services
- Work closely with colleagues on projects to deliver solutions that support the long-term vision of the University
- Represent Website and Communications and the University in internal and external groups
- Ensure alignment and future direction for University web analytics
- Upgrade of underlying MyEd technical framework
- Investigate use of increased personalisation within MyEd to support students
- Analyse future implementations for tag management and web analytics across the University estate
- What is the value of MyEd? (Website and Communications blog)
Open Apereo 2020 conference presentations
Duncan is keenly interested in website analytics as a tool to understand website visitor interactions, and is closely monitoring Google's plans for the introduction of Google Analytics version 4.
- The new Google Analytics (Website and Communications blog)
- Search analytics (University login required) - an investigation using website analytics into how our users interact with our Google custom search engine
- "How to make stakeholders care about search" (Squiz Summit Edinburgh) - outlining the University's search vision, and how we use an identified methodology to assess internal search