Recordings of seminars and career conversations
If you missed any of our seminars or wish to view again at your leisure, most of our seminars are available here: careers beyond academia talks, career conversations, which are ten minute interviews on why our speakers made the switch from academia to a different career path, how to find mentors using Platform One, career development seminars.
Careers beyond academia seminar series
April 2022 - Ruby Osborn from Weston Park Cancer Charity.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia - Ruby Osborn from Weston Park Cancer Charity
- Careers Beyond Academia talk by Dr Ruby Osborn, explaining why she left academia to join a different sector.
June 2022 - Rachel Forsyth and Annabel Campbell from Envision Pharma.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia - Envision Pharma
- Careers Beyond Academia - Envision Pharma's Rachel Forsyth gives an overview of their medical communications work and opportunities for scientists. Annabel Campbell explains why she left postdoc life to become a medical writer.
September 2022 - Rachel Richardson talks about leaving academia to become a clinical scientist.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia - Rachel Richardson
- Rachel Richardson explains how she left academia and trained to become a clinical scientist.
March 2023 - Stephen Hartland from Thermo Fisher gives career tips for moving into industry.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia - Stephen Hartland
- Stephen Hartland gives some career advice about moving from research to industry.
April 2023 - Catherine Heath from the Biochemical Society.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia Catherine Heath
- Catherine Heath gives tip on moving away from academia.
May 2023 - Faye Watson, Public Engagement with Research Manager at the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia Faye Watson
- Career talk
June 2023 - David McKay, Partner at KPMG talks about moving away from academia and science careers to join KPMG.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia - David McKay
- Careers beyond academia talk by David McKay
September 2023 - Philip Starkey Lewis from Resolution Therapeutics talks about the highs and lows of spinning out and joining a new therapeutics company.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia - Philip Starkey Lewis
- Careers Beyond Academia talk
October 2023 - Christina McClure from Vector Builder talks about moving away from a traditional academic career.
- Video: Careers Beyond Academia - Christina McClure
- Careers Beyond Academia talk
May 2022 - Lena Lorenz from the College Research Office talks about leaving academia to work in professional services.
- Video: Career Conversation with Lena Lorenz
- Career conversation with Lena Lorenz on leaving academia to join professional services
June 2022 - Annabel Campbell from Envision Pharma talks about leaving her postdoc position and moving into medical writing.
- Video: Career Conversation with Annabel Campbell
- Career conversation for careers beyond academia sessions
Mentoring and networking
December 2021 - Introduction to Platform One, the University's mentoring and networking platform .
- Video: Introduction to Platform One
- Overview of the Platform One system
Career related seminars
September 2022 - The Road to Independence with Joe Rainger.
- Video: The Road to Independence with Dr Joe Rainger
- A talk on how to progress towards independence as a researcher.
June 2021 - Highlighting a range of career paths taken by women in science at or linked to Roslin Institute and the Easter Bush community.
- Video: Women in science - career paths
- This event highlights a range of career paths taken by women in science at or linked to The Roslin Institute and the Easter Bush community. Presenters provide a short talk about the experience, opportunities and challenges they have faced during their careers and afterwards there is be a discussion forum for people in the audience to ask questions.
June 2021 - Postdoc Careers Discussion Session with Eleanor Hennige, IAD Careers Consultant.
- Video: Postdoc career discussion with Eleanor Hennige
- Postdoc careers discussion with Eleanor Hennige, IAD career consultant.