An online platform for the creation, management, and sharing of research protocols or methods
The University has a subscription to the protocols.io service and it is available to all staff and students of the University.
Users of the University subscription can:
- Create new protocols within the system
- Upload existing methods and digitise them
- Share protocols between group members and external collaborators
- Publish protocol(s) making them freely available for others to use and cite or keep them private
Benefits of using protocols.io
- All protocols are dynamic and interactive, helping with collaboration within a group or among co-authors outside of the university.
- Those with access to a protocol can then update, annotate, or fork it so that it can be continually improved and developed.
- Subscribing to the University plan will allow research groups to organise their methods and ensures that knowledge is not lost as trainees graduate and postdoctoral students move on.
- There is interoperability with GitHub and RSpace, and long-term preservation of protocols through CLOCKSS.
- There are native iOS and Android mobile apps for running the protocols as a checklist during an experiment, helping to guide the work and record any changes on that day in a lab-notebook fashion.
How to sign up for an account
There is a registration page dedicated to helping you sign up for an University subscription account on the protocols.io site. When you register with your University email address you will receive a Premium Individual account and the rights to set up Premium group accounts.
This service is currently offered free to our students and staff as part of a one year trial subscription. The trial period is Dec 2019 - Dec 2020. During the trial the Research Data Support team will request feedback from users to enable evaluation for renewing the subscription and cost recovery options.
If the University decides to terminate the subscription individual users from the University of Edinburgh will have the option to pay for the continued individual and team accounts directly. If users do not wish to pay for their own subscription they will continue to have access to their private content but will not be able to create additional private protocols.
Webinar 1 - Introduction of protocols.io to the University of Edinburgh community
The UoE - protocols.io partnership provides the UoE students and staff with free Premium individual and team plans. This webinar gives an introduction to protocols.io and will teach UoE students and faculty how to get started on protocols.io.