Online electronic notebooks
Information Services has completed a trial of the RSpace enterprise ELN platform, and as from 1 January 2019 RSpace has been added to its expanding portfolio of services for researchers. The University of Edinburgh-hosted RSpace service benefits from integration with local infrastructure, allowing researchers to log in with their University login (EASE), link to files on DataStore, and archive data in DataShare.
RSpace is a multi-faceted research tool in a single, secure system accessed conveniently through any modern web browser. RSpace is an electronic lab notebook that enables researchers to do the following:
- capture and organize data
- use as collaboration software for groups to organise and share data
- use as a management tool for principal investigators to observe and manage lab workflows
- use as a platform for institutions to capture, publish and archive data
The University has a discounted licence agreement with RSpace to provide the standard RSpace Enterprise edition.
- The RSpace Enterprise service is maintained on a University server which is backed up daily with a four week retention period.
- Access to the service is authenticated via your University login (EASE).
- The service is not suitable for sensitive data relating to human individuals such as patient data or other special categories data.
- The Harvard University ELN matrix reviewed RSpace to be suitable for their Level 3 category of data security.
How to obtain access
To sign up for a free two-month trial account email firstname.lastname@example.org using your University email, and indicating the name(s) and UUN(s) of the user(s) in your group, or your own UUN and name if it’s just you. For groups, please also identify the Principal Investigator (PI).
If you wish to purchase licences for your research group, contact Software Services at email@example.com.
RSpace licenses are available free of charge for classroom (teaching) purposes. If you need licenses to use RSpace for classroom (teaching) purposes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org using your University email, and indicating the name(s) and UUN(s) of the user(s) in your class including the details of the teacher or class leader.
Request a live demo of RSpace for your group by contacting email@example.com.