Core skills week
You will participate in a mandatory core skills week following Welcome week. This will cover core topics and a broad spectrum of cutting-edge biomedical research seminars.
Core skills training includes a series of lectures, tutorials and workshops covering the following topics, designed to explore areas relevant to a career in the biomedical sciences:
- scientific thinking
- how to consider research papers
- how to keep a proper lab book
- how to get the most out of your MSc
- health & safety
- animal health and welfare
- an introduction to how to critically assess research papers and data analysis
- intellectual property, commercialisation and patents
- science on the global stage
- communicating science
As a fully matriculated student you can, of course, attend any research seminar across the University.
After core skills week, you will begin your first research project.