Social Responsibility and Sustainability

Reporting faults

Everybody can and should report problems in their building as soon as possible.

What is EBIS?

EBIS provides information on the University's buildings, rooms and projects.

You can use it to report faults (like leaking taps) or request work (such as the installation of a Thermostatic Radiator Valve to your radiator).

If you don't have direct access to EBIS, report faults to the EBIS rep in your building or call the EBIS helpline on 0131 650 2494.

Out of hours

Building and maintenance issues can only be reported during working hours. Security issues (including break ins, personal safety concerns and theft) can be reported 24 hours a day.

Security hotline

0131 650 2257

Internal emergency number

2222 (from any University phone)