Subject area: Social Anthropology
Why choose Social Anthropology at the University of Edinburgh?
We are ranked in Europe's top 10 universities for anthropology in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023.
You will bring theory to life by carrying out your own research and fieldwork, in the UK or abroad.
You will spend up to four months on an individual research project that will form the basis of your dissertation in Year 4.
You will be able to choose from a wide range of courses covering regional specialisations from Africa to Latin America, and thematic specialisations such as happiness, medical anthropology, the invention of history, and anthropology of food.
Studying social anthropology has made me a lot more open-minded and aware of different perspectives. Being understanding of others’ views will be a valuable trait for any future career, especially in a diverse society like the UK.
Introducing Social Anthropology
Social anthropology is the study of human conduct and thought. Societies around the world vary enormously socially, culturally and politically.
The study of these variations, and the common humanity that underlies them, is at the heart of social anthropology.
There are close links between social anthropology and:
- human geography
- development studies
You will take a broad range of courses in Year 1 and 2 and will have the opportunity to specialise in Years 3 and 4.
You will spend up to four months on an individual research project that will form the basis of your dissertation. Fieldwork for your project can be done both within and outside the UK.
Search the degree finder
Find your degree
4 degrees in Social Anthropology
- Social Anthropology (MA) L600
- Social Anthropology and Politics (MA) LL62
- Social Anthropology and Social Policy (MA) LL64
- Social Anthropology with Development (MA) LL69
You may also be interested in
- Arabic and Social Anthropology (MA) LT66
- Archaeology and Social Anthropology (MA) VL46
- Geography (MA) L700
- Interdisciplinary Futures (MA) FIA1
- Law and Social Anthropology (LLB) M1L6
- Linguistics and Social Anthropology (MA) QL16
- Persian and Social Anthropology (MA) TL66
- Sociology and Social Anthropology (MA) LL36