Subject area: Sociology
Why choose Sociology at the University of Edinburgh?
We are ranked in Europe's top 10 universities for sociology in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023.
Our commitment to teaching and student support is seen in the wins and nominations we have achieved over the years at the Edinburgh University Students' Association Teaching Awards.
One of the great strengths of studying sociology with us is the breadth and diversity of topics covered, and the range of joint programmes we offer.
The programme equips us with practical skills, such as learning research techniques and statistical programs, while also developing an open-minded and creative outlook.
Sociology examines how individual choices are affected by wider social forces and how they can be understood by placing them in their social context.
- the relationship between individuals and groups
- issues of belonging and identity
- the social causes of cooperation and conflict
- the way societies and social institutions are formed and change over time
Our programmes also equip you to compare different national contexts and understand contemporary social issues from a global perspective.
Staff at the University of Edinburgh carry out research on a diversity of topics and offer teaching related to their research. You will be exposed to a range of topics, ideas and approaches to sociology.
Search the degree finder
Find your degree
5 degrees in Sociology
- Sociology (MA) L300
- Sociology and Politics (MA) LL32
- Sociology and Psychology (MA) LC38
- Sociology and Social Anthropology (MA) LL36
- Sociology with Quantitative Methods (MA) 5S9K