Research & Operations Manager
I am an organised, versatile and highly motivated professional with a degree in Pharmacology and a PhD in Experimental Medicine, both from top British universities. I have an in-depth research team management and project management experience gained through coordinating UK and Europe-wide research studies and global clinical trials within Clinical Research Organisations, Academic Research Centres and the UK NHS Trust. I am very passionate about continuous learning and always welcome challenging environments that give me an opportunity to achieve my full potential as well as develop new skills.
PhD in Experimental Medicine, Haematology at Imperial College London (Nov 2011 – Dec 2014)
BSc (Hons) in Pharmacology at the University of Dundee (Sep 2007 – Jun 2011)
Responsibilities & affiliations
Research and Operations Manager at the Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research, University of Edinburgh (March 2022 - present)
Operational management of the Asthma UK Centre for Applied Research (AUKCAR) and project management of other COVID-19 research projects within Professor Aziz Sheikh's respiratory portfolio, as well as management and development of the Scottish Allergy and Respiratory Academy (SARA) which provides training for healthcare professionals.
- Provide operational and research management for a portfolio of COVID-19 projects including management of several grant budgets, providing financial reports to funders and working with the wider respiratory and data analysis team on resource planning. Liaison with the University legal and business development teams to review and negotiate contracts.
- Lead on the effective operational management of AUKCAR, which is a UK-wide virtual centre comprising of 13 universities and further 8 associated organisations. This will involve: liaison with (and organisation of) the Independent Advisory Board and Management Committee meetings for governance of the centre, stakeholder engagement especially as a key member of the Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) team, provision of ongoing project management to ensure achievement of milestones and successful delivery of the programmes and platforms of work (in collaboration with the Programme and Platform Leads). Lead on the interim and final report writing to funders.
- Pro-actively identify research opportunities and build networks that can respond to funding opportunities. Facilitate the development of funding proposals, including large multidisciplinary and multi-centre grants, to ensure the long-term development of EAVE II, AUKCAR and the Respiratory Research Group.
- Work closely with the Usher communications team and other organisations to direct and oversee knowledge exchange activity, including dissemination of research findings via various channels to ensure maximum impact of research, public-facing events and organisation of the AUKCAR 2-day Annual Scientific Meeting
- Manage and develop the Scottish Allergy and Respiratory Academy (SARA), which provides training for healthcare professionals across various locations in Scotland. This includes securing sponsorship from industry and working with University Business development to generate new sponsors, planning events and liaison with the educational faculty.
EPAD Programme Manager at the Edinburgh Dementia Prevention, University of Edinburgh (Mar 2021 – March 2022)
Providing leadership and oversight for all aspects of the European Prevention of Alzheimer’s Dementia (EPAD) data, images and biological samples access programme.
- Responsible for the programme to ensure that access requests are managed in-line with applicable processes and ethics and regulatory requirements
- Coordinating and leading the cross functional (internal university) team involved in the access processes
- Manage vendors and external third parties involved in the fulfilment of access requests
- Communicating with external researchers about the types of data, images and samples that are available and the processes required to obtain access
- Establishing and oversight of the processes required to integrate new data into the EPAD database
- Oversight of grant budgets and funds generated by sample access
- Coordinating the completion and submission of reports required by the grant funders
- Line management of a Project Administrator
Clinical Project Manager at the Centre for Dementia Prevention, University of Edinburgh (Jun 2017 – Oct 2020)
1. Managing clinical project teams to deliver high quality research projects including multimillion commercially sponsored observational studies as well as drug trials at the Edinburgh Dementia Prevention.
2. Supporting the set up and operational management of the European-wide innovative platform clinical trial investigating interventions in dementia prevention, sponsored by The University of Edinburgh.
3. Establishment and operationalisation of processes for sharing study participants’ biological samples with the commercial or academic external requestors for the purpose of further research.
- Liaising with internal and external multidisciplinary teams comprising Sponsor’s Office and Regulatory Team members, partner organisations representatives, Intervention Owners, associated CRO Project Managers and 3rd party vendors
- Oversight of the project agreements and budget reconciliation
- Setting up new and improving existing operational processes as per project-specific requirements
- Providing operational input to protocols and other study-specific documentation
- Generating projections and tracking patient recruitment
- Continuous analysis of project progress and recognising potential risks. Developing appropriate mitigating actions and providing practical effective solutions to a variety of problems with financial and operational consequences
- Organising project team meetings and calls
- Presenting and leading workshops during investigator meetings
- Team leader and line manager for the local study staff
Study Coordinator at the Centre for Dementia Prevention, University of Edinburgh (Jun 2016 – Jun 2017)
Leading a multidisciplinary study team and project management of multimillion commercially sponsored research study at the Edinburgh Dementia Prevention.
- Supporting the set up and management of a new research facility
- Set up and optimisation of on-site study systems and processes
- Preparation and submission of applications for local approvals
- Review and contribution to the study protocol amendments
- Managing project delivery at the site to ensure quality results that meet project goals, timelines and allocated budget
- Recruitment, project-specific training and supervision of new team members
- Coordinating patient recruitment, overseeing data and sample collection
- On-site monitoring and quality check of the collected research data
- Liaising with the study sponsor, local collaborators and external vendors