Research Impact: Creating Meaning and Value
This online course covers the fundamentals of research impact – what it is and how it can be embedded in every step of the research journey.
Research Impact: Creating Meaning and Value identifies universal skills which are mapped to the research journey, rather than specific funding requirements or national impact assessment exercises. It is global in scope and employs real-world case studies, video interviews and inspiring stories from across all discipline areas and at different career stages.
The course was developed by a global group of expert advisors, authors and representatives from a number of leading Universities, including Edinburgh.
How long will the course take?
The course comprises approximately three hours of core activities.
How is the course structured?
The course has five modules, these are flexible and participants can complete these in any order. Each has an end of module quiz and a certificate can be downloaded on completion. A programme certificate is also available once all modules are completed.
Module one: Defining research impact (approx. 35 mins)
Module two: Planning research impact (approx. 30 mins)
Module three: Engagement and communication strategies (approx. 35 minutes)
Module four: Evaluating and monitoring impact (approx. 40 minutes)
Module five: Evidencing impact (approx.. 35 mins)
Who is the course for?
The course is relevant to researchers at all levels, with particular relevance for postgraduate researchers, and research staff who are new to research impact or wish to refresh their knowledge and skills. It is suitable across all major disciplines. The course is free for all students and staff at the University of Edinburgh.
Instructions for accessing the Research Impact: creating meaning and value course (this course is not through People and Money)
- Go to https://courses.epigeum.com/register and complete the registration form – IMPORTANT – you must use your @ed.ac.uk, @ei.ed.ac.uk, @exseed.ed.ac.uk or @sms.ed.ac.uk address when registering
- Please enter the following token in the relevant field of the registration form: 394755e1
- An account activation email will be sent to the email address you entered during registration. Please click on the link in the activation email to complete registration and activate your account. NOTE: If you do not receive the email in your inbox, please check your SPAM/junk mail. You can also resend the activation email via this link.
- Once you have activated your account, you can then log in using your chosen username and password combination. You will be shown the Epigeum Research Impact: Creating Meaning and Value programme in the My Courses screen (if you did not enter the token during registration, or wish to enter a second token, please use the Enter Token button in the user menu).
- Click on the programme to see a list of the five constituent modules, and on a specific module to launch it. Once a module has been successfully completed (by achieving 70% or higher in the end of module quiz), you will be able to download your unique certificate of completion. A programme level certificate will become available should you successfully pass all five modules.
- If you require technical assistance, please see the help page or contact the Epigeum customer support team via this webform.
Please note that anyone who already has an Epigeum account (e.g. in order to undertake the Consent Matters/Tackling Harassment training) cannot register again using the same email address. Any such users should log in, navigate to the Enter Token screen, and enter the token above to add the RICMV content to their existing My Courses section