Dunfermline College of Physical Education
Carnegie Dunfermline College of Hygiene and Physical Training was originally founded by the Andrew Carnegie Trust as a training college for women students of Physical Education.
The College opened in Dunfermline on the 4th October 1905.
Facilities at first consisted of only a small gymnasium in Canmore Street Baths. In 1908 the college was opened to men and in 1909 it was recognised by the Scottish Education Department as a central institution for the purpose of the Education (Scotland) Act 1908.
Between 1913-14 new accommodation were built, and the college was renamed Dunfermline College of Hygiene and Physical Education. In 1931 the National Committee for the Training of Teachers delegated the management of the college to a committee of management and from that date only women students were trained at DCHPE - the male students being transferred to Jordanhill College of Education in Glasgow.
Between 1939-46 the staff and students of the college were temporarily transferred to the Teachers Training Centre in Aberdeen, its buildings being commandeered by the navy during World War II.
In 1950 the College transferred to Woolmanhill, Aberdeen, due to over-crowding problems at the Dunfermline site. Hygiene was then dropped from the name of the college and the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust severed connections since the College was no longer based in Dunfermline.
The first Board of Governors for the College was established in 1959. In 1966 the College transferred to newly built specialist accommodation at Cramond, Edinburgh.
In 1986 the Secretary of State for Scotland announced that ‘the training of physical education teachers, both men and women, will be centralised on the site of the present Dunfermline College of Physical Education at Cramond’.
In 1987 DCPE merged with Moray House College of Education; the male students then at Jordanhill College transferred to the enlarged Moray House at the same time.
Five additional academic posts were created for staff transferring from the Scottish School for Physical Education at Jordanhill, although by September only three staff had relocated. The combined expertise provided the core of the Scottish Centre for Physical Education, Movement and Leisure Studies (SCOPEMALS) at Moray House, Cramond Campus.
On the 1st of August 1998 Moray House Institute of Education together with its Cramond Campus became the Faculty of Education of the University of Edinburgh.
The University closed the Cramond Campus over the summer of 2001 and the students, staff and facilities relocated to the refurbished St Leonard’s Land at Holyrood, part of The Moray House School of Education of the University.
Memorabilia from Cramond was relocated to St Leonard's Land. A gymnast sculture was also created by Tom Mackie to commemorate the relocation from Cramond to Holyrood in 2001.