Editorial style guide

Spelling style

Common terms with multiple possible spellings.

There are many words in the English language with multiple spelling variations.

The University style is, as a rule, to use the most common British English spelling and to refer to spellings included in the Oxford English Dictionary.


Our examples show which approach we've chosen for specific words.

Further guidance on spelling is available in the following sources:

British English 

Oxford English Dictionary (login needed)

The A to Z  PDF of the Editorial Style Guide has a more extensive list.

Download the full guide