Anatomy@Edinburgh and the Anatomical Museum are delighted to open the museum to artists of all abilities on select Wednesday afternoons to draw from the historic collections.
Spend the afternoon in the Anatomical Museum, University of Edinburgh, creating artwork from our unique and inspirational historic collections. You will have the opportunity to view and create artwork from the collections out with our public opening times.
A selection of objects from our reserve collections will be brought into the Museum and will be available for you to draw, with a different selection of objects on each Art Wednesday session. Anatomy Teaching Fellow,and Professional Medical Illustrator Victoria McCulloch, along with Museum and Collections Assistant Ruth Pollitt will be present to guide participants and answer any questions.
Art Wednesdays are non-tutored sessions in the Anatomical Museum, allowing you to focus on drawing objects of your choosing. Please bring your own desired art materials (please refer to the artist regulations below). Refreshments and a space to store your belongings will be provided.
Wednesday 5th February, 1 - 4pm
Wednesday 4th March, 1-4pm
Wednesday 8th April, 1-4pm
Cost: £8 per person per session
To book your place visit ePay the University of Edinburgh's booking system.
Spaces are limited to 15 people.
Please note that the Anatomical Museum contains human remains and due to the laws governing the display of human remains there is strictly no photography or filming within the museum. Under 16s should be accompanied by an adult to this event.
The Anatomical Museum is a study space for Anatomy students, please be mindful that students will be using the space at the same time.
- Only pencils or pens may be used – e.g. no paints, charcoals or pastels.
- Artists may draw any of the specimens or models EXCEPT for the human remains stored in fluid, the foetal skeletons or the lacquered man in the centre of the museum.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Anatomical Museum.
- No video filming or photography of any kind is permitted anywhere in the museum (including mobile phone photography).
- Artists are reminded that work done is for study purposes only. No source of image should be given.
- The main use of the Anatomical Museum is as a study area, there may be other students and researchers using this space at the same time, please keep noise to a minimum, any phone calls should be taken / made outside the museum.
- Please show due respect when visiting the museum. We owe a great deal to those whose bodies are used to further our knowledge of human anatomy and disease.
- Please be respectful at all times if referring to the museum and it's contents on social media.
Anatomical Museum, third floor, Doorway 3, Old Medical School, Teviot Place, Edinburgh, EH8 9AG.
The quickest route to the Anatomical Museum is to take the lift from the ground floor, situated on the right hand side as you enter Doorway 3 from the quad of the Old Medical School, Teviot Place. Press button 3 for the museum.
The scenic route if you wish to take the stairs is up six flights of stairs to the museum. As you enter Doorway 3 take the stairs to the left handside to the first floor, enter the door to the first floor and pass through the elephant skeletons on your right hand side to the Anatomical Musuem doors, then take a right up the four flights of stairs to the Anatomical Musuem.