Academic Services

Further information

Discussing part-time employment with your supervisor and whom to contact for further information.

Should I discuss part-time employment opportunities with my supervisor?

Yes, a full-time research students should discuss their plans for part-time employment opportunities with their principal supervisor, and ensure that they are satisfied that their employment plans would be compatible with making satisfactory progress on their degree.  However, students cannot exceed the limit on employment at the University – or specific conditions for students who hold a student visa or with conditions from funding bodies – even if their supervisor is content for them to do so.

I have other queries about how the University’s limits on the employment for full-time postgraduate research students may affect me – whom should I contact?

For queries about the amount of employment within the University you can take on, you should contact your School. If you hold a student visa and have queries about how this affects your ability to work, contact the International Student Advisory Service.  


See the University’s


Further information on working in the UK during your studies.