Our information on degree fees, living costs, and financial assistance should give you a good idea of how much studying at Edinburgh will cost.

money in wallet


Certain fees and other additional programme costs (eg research costs) must be paid in full by each postgraduate student at the beginning of each academic session in September.

For research students commencing study at another time of year, these payments are due on the anniversary of the start of their studies.

Students should be aware that fees vary from degree to degree and from subject to subject.

Full details on tuition fee levels for all degree programmes, including an on-line searchable database of all fee levels, is available from Scholarships and Student Funding Services.

General expenses

You do not need to provide evidence of funding for living expenses. However, you should be aware that, in applying for admission, you will be taking on a major commitment in terms of both time and money.

For that reason, it is important that before applying for admission, you can meet all the costs involved (tuition fees, additional programme costs and living expenses).

Before matriculation, you will be asked to provide evidence of the source from which fees will be met.

Costs other than tuition fees will vary, depending on where you choose to live.

It is estimated that students living in a hall of residence should budget for approximately £180 per week (this includes room and board, lunches and personal expenditure).

The corresponding figure for living in University self-catering accommodation is approximately £150 per week (this includes room and board, lunches and personal expenditure).

See the link below for detailed information on living costs from the International student guide.

Financial assistance

Acceptance for study by the University does not imply the provision of financial assistance unless the University has awarded a scholarship.

If you have been awarded a grant or scholarship, you should send a copy of the letter of award, or arrange for the body providing the award to write to the University giving details.

If you have applied for a grant or scholarship and are awaiting the outcome, you should give the name and address of the body to whom application has been made, and the amount and period applied for.

The University's Scholarships and Student Funding Services can provide guidance on sources of grants, scholarships and funding, and the college postgraduate offices or schools may also be able to give advice.

Accessibility menu