His interests focus on health informatics, clinical trials, and global surgery. He leads the Surgical Informatics group and co-leads the Surgical and Perioperative Health Research Group, performing informatics-orientated research focused on improving patient outcomes after surgery. A current collaboration with industry is joint-funded by the MRC and Kidney research UK is investigating strategies to reduce organ injury in transplantation. He has completed an MSc in Statistics. His work is currently funded by the Wellcome Trust, MRC and Academy of Medical Sciences.
- University of Edinburgh Secretary: 0131 242 3614 (Susan Keggie, Administrative Assistant) and 0131 242 3616 (Murray Britton, Administrative Secretary)
- NHS Clinical Secretary: 0131 2423661 (Valerie Georgiou)
- Email: email@example.com
Appointments and Activities
Ewen is a Senior Lecturer in General Surgery at the University of Edinburgh and a Consultant HPB / Transplant Surgeon at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. He graduated in Medicine from the University of Glasgow in 1999 and moved to Edinburgh in 2002 to take up a research post leading to a PhD.
He jointly leads the GlobalSurg Collaborative (globalsurg.org), an international collaboration of 2500 individuals in 350 centres across 65 countries studying outcomes in general surgery and quality improvement.
He is Programme Director for the Masters in Surgery degree (ChM) and Year 6 Module Lead for Surgery at the University of Edinburgh.
He is currently principal investigator for the PREVENTT RCT examining IV iron in surgical resection patients, PI for the Hepatobiliary microRNA expression & outcome in liver transplantation study, PI for the EPOCH Trial (outcomes after emergency laparotomy), chief investigator for the Tracking Wound Infection Using Smartphone Technology (TWIST) Study and chief investigator for the GSK anti-cytokine in DCD kidney transplantation trial.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB commendation) June 1999, University of Glasgow
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) July 2008. "Pharmacological strategies to reduce ischemi-reperfusion injury in kidney transplantation", University of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS Gen surg) June 2011. Sub-specialty exam: transplantation, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Graduate Certificate in Mathematics and Statistics, University of Sheffield, June 2012
- MSc Statistics with Medical Applications, University of Sheffield, November 2015
2006 – 2008 President: Association of Surgeons in Training
2006 – 2008 Council: Royal College of Surgeons of England
2007 – 2009 Council: Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
2006 – 2008 Council: Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
2006 – 2007 Council: Society of Academic and Research Surgery
2007 – 2008 Committee: Joint Committee for (Higher) Surgical Training
2004 – 2008 Committee: Trainees specialty advisory board (RCSEd)
2005 – 2007 Committee: Specialty Transitional Board for Surgery
2006 – 2007 Working party: ISCP Working Party on Selection
2007 – 2008 Working party: PMETB Trainers’ Survey Working Party
2013 – 2016 Education and Training Committee: International Society of Hepatopancreaticobiliary Surgery
2016 – present Publication Committee: International Society of Hepatopancreaticobiliary Surgery