Science Insights work experience
An exciting work experience programme designed to give 5th year high school pupils a real insight into the work and life of research scientists.
Science Insights provides an opportunity for 40 high school pupils to spend a week of their summer holidays following a varied programme of activities on four different University of Edinburgh campuses, gaining a real insight into research and work in many different areas of biological, biomedical and animal sciences.
The annual programme which launched in 2014 is a collaboration between all six research institutes in the University of Edinburgh College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, providing access to its cutting-edge facilities and inspiring researchers. The Centre for Regenerative Medicine co-ordinates one strand of 20 pupils each year.
- Shadowing researchers in their workplaces
- Tours of a range of scientific facilities
- Presentations, workshops and discussions on topics including research ethics, the use of animals in research and careers in science
- Opportunities to meet current University of Edinburgh students
- Skills session to help with future university applications
What Science Insights Alumni say:
“The lab taster sessions are a great opportunity to get to know more about university life and study, on a one-to-one basis”
“The science insights team made everyone feel involved and planned an amazing and insightful week that I won’t forget.”
“It was extraordinarily worthwhile. If next year’s SI students are going to have anything near my experience then they should know they are in for something special.”