Information Security Awareness Week 2018
This year’s Information Security Awareness Week will be held on 8-15 October.
It will focus on why information security matters to students and staff, and the threats we all face as users.
Events during the week will also cover how each of us can take simple steps to quickly protect our personal data and research content.
Talks will take place throughout the week at different locations across campus, covering topics such as basic information security, securing mobile devices, ransomware and encryption:
- Monday 8 October – St. Leonard’s Land
- Tuesday 9 October – James Clerk Maxwell Building
- Wednesday 10 October – St Cecilia’s Hall
- Thursday 11 October – Chancellor’s Building
- Friday 12 October – Appleton Tower
- Monday 15 October – Vet School, Easter Bush
More information on individual sessions is available at the Information Security webpages below.
The main event on Wednesday 10 October will see invited external speakers present and discuss key issues. The speakers include:
- Daniel Stewart: information security consultant at Secarma Ltd.
- Holly Grace Williams: CREST Certified Tester Penetration Testing Team Leader
- Scottish Business Resilience Centre
Bookings are now open via the University’s events system at the following link: https://www.events.ed.ac.uk.
Each of the talks will be very accessible and are aimed at all audiences, regardless of technical ability.
The Information Security team will be active on Twitter during the week, offering hints, tips and useful guidance.
Follow the team on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/UoEInfoSec and using the hashtag #UoEInfoSec.