Winter shutdown: how to help save energy
Staff are reminded to make efforts to help save energy during the University’s festive season closure.
In order to help the University cut costs as well as carbon emissions, staff are asked to switch off lights and equipment before leaving for their break.
Specifically, employees are reminded to:
- switch off all lights, including Christmas decorations, if you are the last to leave a building or room
- shut down or switch your computer to 'sleep' mode
- switch off monitors and printers, and turn off at the socket if not being remotely accessed
- ensure no equipment is left on standby and unplug all non-essential items
- turn off kitchen hot-water boilers
- close the sash on fume cupboards if they need to continue running
- close windows and doors
Staff who are responsible for building systems, including air handling, heating or computer server systems are asked to ensure they are switched to the appropriate setting for quiet periods.
Staff with queries should contact their line manager, building manager or local premises team.
Working from home
Staff who wish to access their computer from home are encouraged to activate Wake on LAN for remote access to work-based PCs in 'hibernate' mode.
Information Services provides guidance on how to do this.