The perfect grounding for a career in research
A Masters by Research degree aims to provide a thorough training in a particular discipline area through original investigation and research. It gives students an excellent 12 month grounding in research and many use it as a stepping stone to a PhD.
We offer two different routes for Masters by Research: a pure research degree where you spend 12 months in one lab working on one project, or a ‘taught’ Masters by Research that includes seminars and core training alongside research projects.
Your route to a PhD
Develop your research skills working at some of the leading research groups in the world:
- Gain hands-on experience of different research groups working at the forefront of science discovery.
- Engage in a broad range of experimental approaches, expanding your portfolio and CV.
- Develop a wide set of transferable skills: from project planning to grant writing...
Graduates are equipped for PhD study at any university in the world.
What our graduates think
World-class university | World-class city
Study at The University of Edinburgh and not only will you become a student at a world-class university, you’ll also get the opportunity to live in a world-class city.
- Ranked 20th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2020)
- 1st in the UK for Veterinary Medicine and 3rd in the UK for Medicine (The Guardian Best UK Universities Guide 2021)
- The 2014 Research Excellence Framework results reaffirmed our reputation as one of the world’s leading research centres for medical, veterinary and life sciences More…
- Regularly voted one of the best cities to live in the world, Edinburgh is a beautiful and thriving capital. More…
You could be eligible for a loan to fund your studies (UK nationals and those with settled status in the UK)