What STACK does
STACK (the System for Teaching and Assessment using a Computer algebra Kernel) is an online assessment package for mathematics. This open-source system helps you build sophisticated assessments for STEM which challenge your students and provides feedback to help them improve their performance and understanding.
- STACK demonstration site
- STACK questions include:
- Full algebraic input with validation and feedback
- Multi-choice questions
- Line by line reasoning
- Dimensional numerical quantities
Why use STACK
- Mathematical sophistication enables helpful feedback
- Forgiving input mechanism separates “validity” from “correctness”
- Scales to large groups
- Integration with learning management systems
- Large user community and available resource banks
- Open source
STACK is used at hundreds of sites, and in a wide range of languages including English, Finnish, German, Japanese and many others.
STACK is based on over a decade of research and development.
STACK is a dedicated question type for
STACK can be intergrated more widely via
- Dedicated question API
STACK questions are a very flexible design.
Use of a full computer algebra system:
- Randomly generated mathematical questions.
- Assessment of mathematical properties.
- Feedback based on a student's answer.
- Genuine mathematics models, e.g. SI units.
- Line by line reasoning.
... and many others.
As an open source project, we welcome contributions.
- Example questions
- Research on effective use
- Dedicated integration with other learning systems
- Extensions of the core system
- Commercial partners
Please contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions about STACK.