Introduction to Academic Practice (IntroAP)
About the Introduction to Academic Practice course, a Higher Education Academy accredited course aimed at University of Edinburgh tutors and demonstrators.
This course is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) for Associate Fellowship.
This course is running twice in 2019/20, once in each Semester.
Please see more detailed information about dates in the 'Eligibilty' section, and the 'What the course entails section', below.
To be eligible to participate in the Introduction to Academic Practice you need to:
- Attend seminars on the three Wednesday afternoons during the course. Semester 1: seminar 1: Wed 18th Sept 2019 13:30 – 16:30, seminar 2: Wed 2nd Oct 2019 13:30 – 16:30, seminar 3: Wed 30th Oct 2019 13:30 – 16:30 Semester 2: seminar 1: Wed 15th Jan 2020, 13:30 – 16:30; seminar 2: Wed 5th Feb 2020, 13:30 – 16:30; seminar 3: Wed 4th Mar 2020, 13:30 – 16:30
- have at least two semesters of recent university teaching experiences before the course starts; AND
- you need to have CURRENT teaching responsibilities in Edinburgh University between the IntroAP seminars 2 and 3 i.e. during the semester you are taking the course, so that you can participate in a teaching observation exercise. Since this exercise is required for course completion, you cannot complete the course if you cannot guarantee teaching responsibilities during that period.
- You need to have a University staff ID during the time you are completing the course (you will have this as part of your teaching contract with the university), otherwise the HEA charges you an admin fee of £100 at the point of course completion.
- You will need to supply 2 references regarding your teaching practice, one with your application and one with your final assignment submission. Further details may be found in the Handbook.
What the course entails
Tasks: Between the seminar dates you will be asked to submit regular written homework tasks, to contribute to a discussion board, and to carry out a teaching observation exchange. There is also a final assignment of around 1,400 words to submit after seminar 3. These tasks and the seminars are fully supported with a dedicated set of course materials in LEARN to which course participants are enrolled at the start of the course.
Overview of key dates 19/20: to help you understand what would need to be done by when, please see this at-a-glance breakdown of 19/20 key dates for the IntroAP (PDF)
Workload: Previous participants have reported that between 36-40 hours’ input is required to complete all aspects of the course over the semester.
Detailed course information
Detailed course information is found in the Introduction to Academic Practice handbook
Information sessions - find out more about the course
The information sessions for academic year 19/20 will be held on Thu 1st Aug 2019, and Thu 7th Nov 2019.
Applying to the course
Please ensure you have read and meet the eligibility criteria (stated on this page) before applying.
Applications for Semester 1 will open on the 1st of August and end on 30th August 2019. To apply please click on the link below:
Applications for Semester 2 will open on the 1st November and end on the 29th November 2019. To apply please click on the link below:
How places are allocated
Places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis as much as possible, but if we are oversubscribed, we may need to prioritise participants. We will take applicants who cannot be accommodated into account for our next intake.
Priority order if needed:
- PhD candidates in their final years
- Staff on short term contracts
- Other PhD candidates
- Other Staff
- Masters students
- Undergraduate students
Find out more about HEA accreditation
More information about Advance HE (formerly Higher Education Academy) accreditation is found on the HEA website:
More information about the different ways by which you can work towards accreditation at Edinburgh is found here:
Questions about this course?
- Send us an email: