Introduction to Academic Practice (IntroAP)
About the Introduction to Academic Practice course, a Higher Education Academy accredited course aimed at University of Edinburgh tutors and demonstrators.
This course is accredited by the Higher Education Academy (HEA) for Associate Fellowship.
This course is running twice in 2017/18, once in each Semester.
To be eligible to participate in the Introduction to Academic Practice you need to:
- Attend seminars on the three Wednesday afternoons during the course. Semester 2: seminar 1: Wed 17th Jan 2018, 1:30-4:30; seminar 2: Wed 31st Jan 2018, 1:30-4:30; seminar 3: Wed 28th Feb 2018, 1:30-4:30
- have at least two semesters of recent university teaching experiences before the course starts; AND
- you need to have CURRENT teaching responsibilities in Edinburgh University between the IntroAP seminars 2 and 3 i.e. during the semester you are taking the course, so that you can participate in a teaching observation exercise. Since this exercise is required for course completion, you cannot complete the course if you cannot guarantee teaching responsibilities during that period.
- You need to have a University staff ID during the time you are completing the course (you will have this as part of your teaching contract with the university), otherwise the HEA charges you an admin fee of £100 at the point of course completion.
- You will need to supply 2 references regarding your teaching practice, one with your application and one with your final assignment submission. Further details may be found in the 2017/18 Handbook.
What the course entails
Between the seminar dates you will be asked to submit regular written homework tasks, to contribute to a discussion board, and to carry out a teaching observation exchange. There is also a final assignment of around 1,000 words to submit after seminar 3. These tasks and the seminars are fully supported with a dedicated set of course materials in LEARN to which course participants are enrolled at the start of the course.
Detailed course information
Detailed course information is found in the Introduction to Academic Practice handbook (last updated: Jan 18).
Information session - find out more about the course
There are currently no IntroAP Information Sessions scheduled.
Once a date is available, we will add details and a booking link here. Please check back nearer the next intake date.
Applying to the course
Please ensure you have read and meet the eligibility criteria (stated on this page) before applying.
Applications for AY17/18 Semester 2 have now closed.
Applications for AY 2018/19 Semester 1 will open in August 2018.
How places are allocated
Places are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis as much as possible, but if we are oversubscribed, we may need to prioritise participants. We will take applicants who cannot be accommodated into account for our next intake.
Priority order if needed:
- PhD candidates in their final years
- Staff on short term contracts
- Other PhD candidates
- Other Staff
- Masters students
- Undergraduate students
Find out more about HEA accreditation
More information about Higher Education Academy accreditation is found on the HEA website:
More information about the different ways by which you can work towards accreditation at Edinburgh is found here:
Questions about this course?
- Send us an email: