Collaboration and data syncing
Resources to access and share your active data across different devices and with collaborators locally and internationally.
DataSync is a file-hosting service to synchronise and share research data with your colleagues anywhere; no sign-up is required. It has an app to synchronise data to computers and mobile devices, and a web interface to allow access to data from any web browser. Data can be shared with anyone who has an email address, via the web interface.
- A file hosting service for Staff and Research Postgraduates (PGRs).
- No sign-up needed - automatically provisioned for Staff and Research PGRs.
- Login using your Active Directory (AD) username and password.
- Data stored at the University of Edinburgh and managed by Information Services.
- 20GB DataSync storage with the ability to connect to any amount of your personal or group share on the RDM DataStore
- Accessible via Windows, Mac or Linux OS.
- File sharing with colleagues anywhere.
- Access your documents anywhere.
- File synchronisation.
- There are no restrictions placed on how much of your personal or group RDM DataStore allocation you share via DataSync.
- Web browser access supports individual file size uploads up to 20GB with no limit on file download size.
The University of Edinburgh's Wiki Service is a web application that allows for collaborative modification, extension, or deletion of its content and structure. It is EASE authenticated and offers many options for reading content, ranging from specific named Wiki users, to the world at large. This Wiki Service can be a useful resource for individuals and groups to organise and share data.
- Any member of the University – staff, students and ‘staff like’ visitors may own any number of Wikis in the University space.
- Usage is intended for academic and administrative purposes.
- The owner has control and responsibility for the use of the Wiki, ie content moderation, authorisation of users, etc. Collaborators/users from outside the University may be given write access to the wiki by the owner or delegated administrator.
- There is no enforced size limit for a single Wiki space; however, individual attachments cannot exceed 30MB.
- The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Wiki is available from anywhere in the world.
There is an online form that can be completed and the IS Helpline will process it and set up your Wiki space and notify you when it is ready. This will normally be done within a single working day.
University of Edinburgh Sharepoint
SharePoint is a web-based product which enables you to collaborate and communicate with other team members, departmental colleagues or research project/working groups by storing files and information in one location. This is done through OneDrive for Business, which is an integral part of Office 365 or SharePoint Server, and provides place in the cloud where you can store, share and sync your work files.
OneDrive for Business is provided for University of Edinburgh Staff and Students as a drop box style facility to use with their University of Edinburgh Office 365 account.
- Collaborative access to version controlled documents.
- Eliminates need to circulate documents via email.
- Enables users to control access to sensitive data using permissions.
- Working group (Team) sites can be accessed on or off campus providing there is internet access.
- OneDrive allows you to store up to 1Tbyte of documents and other content you publish.