Study abroad in Edinburgh

Course finder

Semester 1

Computer Communications and Networks (INFR10074)

Subject

Informatics

College

SCE

Credits

20

Normal Year Taken

3

Delivery Session Year

2022/2023

Pre-requisites

Course Summary

This is a comprehensive first course in Computer Communications and Networks, focusing on fundamental concepts, principles and techniques. The course will introduce basic networking concepts, including: protocol, network architecture, reference models, layering, service, interface, multiplexing, switching and standards. An overview of digital communication from the perspective of computer networking will also be provided. Topics covered in this course include: Internet (TCP/IP) architecture and protocols, network applications, congestion/flow/error control, routing and internetworking, data link protocols, error detection and correction, channel allocation and multiple access protocols, communication media and selected topics in wireless and data centre networks. It will cover recent advances in network control and management architectures by introducing the concepts of software-defined networking (SDN) and network (function) virtualisation. Students taking this course will gain hands-on experience in network programming using the socket API; network traffic/protocol analysis; and on assessment of alternative networked systems and architectures.

Course Description

* Introduction to Computer Networking and the Internet* Digital Communication Basics* The Application Layer with comprehensive treatment of networked applications (incl. multimedia data and applications)* The Transport Layer* The Network Layer* The Data Link Layer* The Medium Access Control Sub-Layer* The Physical Layer* Software-defined networking (SDN)* Network virtualisation and network function virtualisation (NFV)* Network management* Introduction to data centre and wireless networks* Overview and selected aspects of network security

Assessment Information

Written Exam 0%, Coursework 100%, Practical Exam 0%

Additional Assessment Information

Assessment will be through biweekly online quizzes and three practical assignments. Biweekly quizzes contribute to 25% of the course mark. Practical assignments, making up the rest of the course mark (75%), target hands-on experience on design, implementation, measurement and analysis of networked systems and protocols.

view the timetable and further details for this course

Disclaimer

All course information obtained from this visiting student course finder should be regarded as provisional. We cannot guarantee that places will be available for any particular course. For more information, please see the visiting student disclaimer:

Visiting student disclaimer