Walking Tour with Curious Edinburgh
The School of Economics are developing a walking tour of Edinburgh in collaboration with the Curious Edinburgh app. We are looking for volunteers to help us photograph and write about the various stops on the tour, curated by Professor Donald Rutherford.
About the tour
The School of Economics are collaborating with Curious Edinburgh to develop a walking tour of Edinburgh featuring stops at historical sites of economic interest across the city. The route was curated by retired University of Edinburgh Economics Professor Donald Rutherford, author of The Routledge Dictionary of Economics and In the Shadow of Adam Smith and will explore the lives and works of many prominent Scottish economists and philosophers such as Adam Smith, David Hume and Dugald Stewart.
What we need
We are looking for volunteers to photograph and write a summary for each destination on the tour which will be featured on the Curious Edinburgh app and website. Volunteers will receive named credit for their content and will have the opportunity to interview Donald Rutherford.
We need content for the following sites across Edinburgh:
- Riddles Court, Lawnmarket for David Hume
- City Chambers: for the statue of Adam Smith and the Royal Exchange on the north side of the Chambers
- Canongate, for the graves of Smith and Dugald Stewart in the kirkyard and the view of Stewart’s statue on the Calton Hill
- Panmure House, where Smith spent the last 12 years of his life
- Old College, for the first two professors of economics WB Hodgson and J Shield Nicholson
- Heriot Row, for Fleeming Jenkin
- Churchyard Lothian Road, for grave of Thomas de Quincey
- New College, for Thomas Chalmers
- New Greyfriars, for Robert Wallace
- Buccleuch Place behind the University Library, for the foundation of the Edinburgh Review and the present School of Economics
How to get involved
If you would like to get involved with this project, or would like to know more, please contact Lorna Quickfall. Tour stops will be allocated on a first come first serve basis so get in touch soon to avoid disappointment!
About Curious Edinburgh
Curious Edinburgh are a University of Edinburgh project developing app-guided walking tours of sites of scientific and cultural interest in and around Edinburgh. They have sought stories from the history of Edinburgh which will inspire, inform and amuse both visitors and resident of the city.