An overview of vacancies available at the Row Fogo Centre.
Research Fellow on Vascular Mathematical Modelling
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 09/14/2022, 05:00 PM
JOB ID: 3655
Grade: UE07, £35,333 - £42,155
Other specifications: Full time, 35 Hours per week
Location: CMVM/MGPHS / USHER Institute
The Centre for Medical Informatics at the Usher Institute within The University of Edinburgh is looking for an outstanding Research Fellow.
Reporting to, and working with, Dr Miguel O. Bernabeu you will conduct research centred around one of the two following areas: a) the develop of novel approaches to phenotyping retinal blood vessels  in animal models of stroke and investigating associations with brain phenotypes  and stroke outcomes, and b) the application mathematical models of vascular remodelling previously developed by the group [3, 4] to characterise the relationship between blood flow and endothelial cell migration in the development of arteriovenous malformations . This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated post-doctoral researcher to join, and become a key player in, the Leducq Foundation Transatlantic Network of Excellence “ATTRACT: arterial flow as attractor for endothelial cell migration – a new concept in vascular malformation and stroke regeneration” (https://www.mdc-berlin.de/leducq-attract). The network brings together world-leading groups on vascular biology, genetics, computational biology, and stroke from seven institutions: Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine Berlin, Uppsala University, University of Lisbon, The University of Edinburgh, Duke University, Yale University, Barrow Neurological Institute. Along with Dr Bernabeu, you will be responsible for the mathematical modelling efforts in the network and will have access to unique datasets providing insight into multiple scales of regulation of vascular patterning and mispatterning. You will produce material for publication and dissemination and engage with the rest of the study network partners (including travel to network meetings, both national and international) to ensure delivery of a cutting-edge multidisciplinary programme of research.
Some selected publications include (please, click on the links below to access the articles):
-  https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.11.23.469704
-  https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.12.13.472377
-  https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2021.0113
-  https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007715
-  https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.053047
Your skills and attributes for success:
- PhD (or near completion) in a relevant topic.
- Proven track record of publishing research outputs.
- Experience in the segmentation and quantification of vascular phenotypes in angiograms; or experience in the development of multiscale mathematical models of biological systems with a focus on biomechanics/mechanobiology.
- Experience working with microscopy data (image processing and quantification)
- Competence in object-oriented computer programming (the group works on Python/C++/Matlab).
This is a fixed term position, available from July 2022 for 24 months.
Informal enquiries may be directed to Dr Miguel O. Bernabeu:
View the vacancy details (The University of Edinburgh Vacancies website)
The University of Edinburgh vacancies website
The Row Fogo Centre vacancies are also advertised on the University of Edinburgh job opportunities website.
View vacancies previously displayed on the Row Fogo Centre website.