Stephen is a general surgical registrar and NIHR Clinical Research Fellow whose PhD explored early outcomes in surgery worldwide following cancer surgery.
NIHR Clinical Research Fellow
Following the completion of his Academic Foundation Programme under the mentorship of Professor Ewen Harrison and Professor O James Garden, he commenced surgical training before undertaking a PhD aligned with the NIHR Global Health Research Unit on Global Surgery.
Stephen’s current interests include crowd-sourcing patient-level data, machine learning techniques, risk stratification, translational medical technology in transplantation, and wearable technology to measure postoperative surgical outcomes.
Recent work developing risk stratification scores to guide clinical management during the Covid-19 pandemic has been published in the British Medical Journal, validated across more than 20 countries, and incorporated within national and World Health Organisation guidelines.
- Member of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, MRCS 2015
- MB ChB (Hons), University of Leicester 2012
- BSc (1st class), University of Leicester 2010
- Syme Medal, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2022
- Finalist Kidney Research UK National MedTech Competition 2022
- Kenneth Fearon Memorial Medal 2021
- Medical Student prize, Surgical Research Society Annual Conference (A Riad; Co-supervisor) 2021
- GASOC Global Surgery Prize (A Riad) 2020
- Roche Pharmaceuticals People & Disease Dissertation Prize 2010
- Risk stratification of patients with covid-19 in the community (Invited comment)Lancet Digital Health 2022; 4(9): e628-e629 Knight SR, Harrison EM.
- The impact of preoperative oral nutrition supplementation on outcomes in patients undergoing gastrointestinal surgery for cancer in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis Scientific Reports 2022; 12: 12456 Knight SR, et al.
- Global use of telemedicine for post-discharge assessment of the surgical wound Annals of Surgery 2022; in press NIHR Global Health Research Unit on Global Surgery (writing group)
- Effects of hospital facilities on patient outcomes after cancer surgery: an international, prospective, observational study Lancet Global Health 2022; 10(7): e1003-e1011 NIHR Global Health Research Unit on Global Surgery (Stephen Knight first author)
- Global variation in postoperative mortality and complications after cancer surgery: a multicentre, prospective cohort study in 82 countries Lancet 2021; 397(10272): 387–97 NIHR Global Health Research Unit on Global Surgery (Stephen Knight first author)
- Development and validation of the ISARIC 4C Deterioration model for adults hospitalised with COVID-19: a prospective cohort study Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2021; 9: 349–59 Gupta RK, et al.
- Characterisation of in-hospital complications associated with COVID-19 using the ISARIC WHO Clinical Characterisation Protocol UK: a prospective, multicentre cohort study Lancet 2021; 398: 223–37 Drake TM, et al.
- Mobile devices and wearable technology for measuring patient outcomes after surgery: a systematic review Nature Digital Medicine 2021; 4: 157 Knight SR, et al.
- Risk stratification of patients admitted to hospital with covid-19 using the ISARIC WHO Clinical Characterisation Protocol: development and validation of the 4C Mortality Score BMJ 2020; 370: m3339 Knight SR, et al.