Consultant General and Upper GI Surgeon, Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, and NHS Research Scotland Clinician.
Appointments and Activities
Mr Skipworth provies inpatient and day case general surgery (with a specialist interest in oesophagogastric surgery), elective and emergency endoscopy, and general surgery emergency endoscopy, and general surgery emergency cover. Mr Skipworth holds the post of NHS Research Scotland Clinician and he retains active collaborative research interests in the fields of cancer cachexia (the syndrome of muscle and fat wasting experienced by cancer patients) and oesophagogastric malignancy. Mr Skipworth is also actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate education. He is an Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) and Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons (NoTSS) Instructor and teaches regularly on these and other courses. He is an e-tutor for Edinburgh Surgery Online (ESO), and teaches on the MSc in Surgical Sciences, the ChM in General Surgery, and the MSc in Patient Safety and Clinical Human Factors. He is a reviewer for various medical and scientific journals.
Mr Skipworth's pre-registration House Officer posts were undertaken in Edinburgh. He then trained for a year in London, as a Senior House Officer in Accident & Emergency, followed by an Anatomy Demonstrator post in Imperial College. The remainder of his Basic and Higher Surgical Training were undertaken in the South-East of Scotland. This training included a dedicated period of translational and clinical research, following which he was awarded a Doctorate of Medicine (with Distinction) from the University of Edinburgh. Between 2013 and 2014, he was awarded an international fellowship by ANZGOSA (Australian and New Zealand Gastro-Oesophageal Surgery Association) and worked as a Fellow in Upper GI Surgery at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney, Australia.
- Batchelor of Science (BSc Hons) 1997. Pathology. University of Edinburgh.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) 2000. University of Edinburgh.
- Member Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS Edinburgh) 2004. Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- Doctorate of Medicine (MD) with Distinction 2011. University of Edinburgh.
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS Gen Surg) 2013. Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Member of Faculty of Surgical Trainers 2016.
- University of Edinburgh School of Surgery Clinical Prize 2009.
- Syme Medal from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2012.
- Co-author on Douglas Piper Award, University of Sydney 2013.
- Rank Prize Funds Nutrition Committee Prize 2015.
- Member of the Association of Upper GI Surgeons
- Previous member of the RCSEd Trainee Advisory Committee
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (FRCS)
- Member of Faculty of Surgical Trainers
- Member of ESPEN (European Society of Clinical Nutrition & Metabolism) Faculty
- Member of the Society on Sarcopenia, Cachexia and Wasting Disorders (SCWD)
- Member of the NIHR Cancer and Nutrition Collaboration
- Board Member and Co-Founder of Cancer Cachexia Society