Miss Collie has a particular interest in colorectal cancer, pelvic floor disorders, prolapse, fistula and incontinence.
Consultant Colorectal Surgeon
- Colorectal Unit
- Western General Hospital, Edinburgh
- NHS Clinical Secretary: 0131 537 1577
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancer, pelvic floor disorders, prolapse, fistula and incontinence, complex pelvic cancer. Mhairi is undertaking clinical research into each of these conditions. Her practice includes minimally invasive surgery, endoscopy, benign anorectal conditions and inflammatory bowel disease and complex multispecialty gynaecology cancer resections. She also has an active role in international obstetric fistula surgery.
Appointments and Activities
- Clinical director and consultant surgeon
- Mentor for advanced surgical nurse practitioners, fy1 doctors.
- Ongoing research in surgery for prolapse and incontinence.
- She was an undergraduate at Edinburgh University Basic Surgical Training, West Midlands. Was a Specialist Registrar at South East Thames then Lothian.
- Miss Collie qualified from Edinburgh University and subsequently trained in Birmingham, London and Edinburgh.
- Her research degree was centred on colorectal cancer. She did research at Royal Free Hospital, London.
- She spent a year working abroad for Medecins sans Frontieres towarsd the end of her training and continues to be active in operating and teaching overseas.
- She was a Locum Consultant for 1 year and then has been nina substantive National Health Service post since September 2005.
- Miss Collie has been involved in operations for repair of vesicovaginal & reclovaginal fistualae at surgical camps in Uganda since 2001.
- She was instrumental in setting up the TOPPIC multicentre randomised controlled trial of 6MP in Crohn's disease, recently completed and reported in the Lancet Gastroenterology.
- Prospective audit of SNS treatment for bowel dysfunction
- Study of surgical outcomes in functional obstructive defaecation
- Development of phone based database for reporting fistula surgery outcomes
- Incorporation of ERAS into trak and eclerking
- Quality improvement studies of preoperative triage, assessment and optimisation and postoperative nurseled phone followup
Miss Collie’s educational qualifications are:
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB BCh Hons), University of Edinburgh
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS)
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) university of Edinburgh 1999