Mr Powell’s current clinical practice involves liver transplantation.
Associate Medical Director and Consultant Transplant Surgeon
- Edinburgh Transplant Centre
- Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
- NHS Clinical Secretary: 0131 242 3661 (Valerie Georgiou)
Appointments and Activities
Mr Powell is the Associate Medical Director for Surgical Services RIE.
Mr Powell moved to his current post of Consultant Surgeon in 2007.
Between July 2006 and October 2007 Mr Powell was a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Transplant Surgery in the University of Edinburgh.
Following undergraduate training in Glasgow, Mr Powell undertook postgraduate research and general surgical training in Edinburgh. This led to an interest in hepatobiliary and liver transplant surgery and he therefore completed his formal training with a clinical fellowship in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Faculty for the Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient (CCrISP) Course run by the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2007 to present.
- Lead Clinician Scottish Organ Retrieval Team 2008 to November 2010.
- Surgical representative SLTU Liver Advisory Group November 2010 to May 2019.
- SLTU representative Liver Selection and Allocation Working Party July 2011 to 2013.
- Member of Liver Advisory Core Work Group - January 2014 to May 2019.
- Deputy Chair Upper GI Group South East Scotland Cancer Network (SCAN), December 2009 to January 2014.
- SCAN Clinical Lead Scottish National Hepatopancreaticobiliary Network (SHPBN) Advisory Board, September 2011 to November 2014.
- Scottish Cancer Taskforce HPB Cancer QPI Development Group Subgroup Lead Clinician - Liver August 2011 to September 2012.
- Member of University of Edinburgh Medical School Admission Committee 2011 to 2015.
- External Advisor for Consultant Appointments. Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and Faculties in Scotland. Appointed September 2012 to September 2016. Further term commencing June 2019.
- Intercollegiate MRCS examiner, April 2012.
- Scottish Cancer Taskforce Sarcoma QPI Development Group Chair, February 2013 to January 2014.
- Member of the editorial boards for World Journal of Surgery (2011 to 2014) and HPB (2014 to 2019).
- Member of the United Kingdom Advisory Committee on the Safety of Blood, Tissues and Organs (SaBTO), December 2014 to August 2019.
- Member of the Scottish Donation and Transplant Group (SDTG), May 2015 to August 2019.
Mr Powell's educational qualifications are:
- Bachelor of Sciences (BSc Hons), University of Glasgow, 1992
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB Hons), University of Glasgow, 1994
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, (FRCSEd), Edinburgh, 1999
- Doctor of Medicine, (MD), University of Edinburgh, 2001
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS Gen.Surg), Edinburgh, 2004
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow FRCS (Glasg.), 2017