Clinical Senior Lecturer in Colorectal Surgery
Appointments and Activities
Mr Paterson returned to Western General Hospital as a Clinical Senior Lecturer in 2008.
After graduating from Aberdeen he undertook basic surgical training in the West of Scotland followed by 2 years of research into injury-induced host immune responses at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School in Boston. He completed higher surgical training with a colorectal interest in Edinburgh and a post-CCT fellowship in laparoscopic colorectal surgery in UCL St Luc, Brussels.
Hugh is the Chief Investigator of ALLEGRO, a £1.3million NIHR-HTA-funded UK multicentre RCT of perioperative IV lidocaine in minimally invasive colorectal surgery. For more information regarding ALLEGRO, please click here.
- Bachelor of Medical Sciences (BMedSci), 1994
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB), University of Aberdeen, 1994
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS), Edinburgh, 1998
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), University of Aberdeen, 2003
- Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS GenSurg), 2007