Ms Majdak-Paredes interests lie in oncoplastic and microsurgical breast reconstruction, breast aesthetics, developmental breast conditions, and revision of breast surgery, gynaecomastia, lipomodelling, skin cancer and reconstruction, scar management as well as other aspects of plastic surgery.
Her principle research interests include hereditary basis of breast cancer, multidisciplinary management of women with breast cancer or hereditary predisposition to breast cancer as well as quality of life in patients undergoing plastic and reconstructive surgery. She is also involved in medical education and management.
Appointments and Activities
Ms Majdak-Paredes was appointed Consultant Plastic Surgeon in 2016. As well as working at St John’s Hospital, she also provides service as a member of Breast MDT and Breast Management Group to the Edinburgh Breast Unit.
Ms Majdak-Paredes obtained her Medical Degree from Medical University of Gdansk, Poland in 2000 before completing a PhD program in surgery and human genetics at Gdansk (Professor J Emerich, Professor J Limon) and Leiden University Medical Centre, The Netherlands (Professor P Devilee) as a Marie Curie PhD research fellow. As undergraduate student, she participated in Erasmus Student Exchange Program completing a final year in the Antwerp University, Belgium along with multiple undergraduate electives in Surgery and Plastic Surgery at Kingston Hospital and Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London.
She undertook her postgraduate training in surgery (basic surgical training) and plastic surgery via national training program in the UK. She undertook fellowships in Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction in Edinburgh Breast Unit (Professor M Dixon), advanced microsurgical breast reconstruction in Chelmsford (Professor V Ramakrishnan) and in breast and body aesthetics in Banff, Canada (Dr E Hall-Findlay).
Medical Doctor Diploma (MBChB) Medical University of Gdansk, Poland (2000)
Certificate in Management for Doctors Faculty of Management University of Gdansk, Poland 2001
PhD in Surgery and Human Genetics Medical University of Gdansk, Poland with Honours, reviewers’ distinction and Rector Award (2004)
Intercollegiate MRCS Surgery in General (2006)
Certificate of Basic Surgical Training (2006)
Intercollegiate FRCS in Plastic Surgery (2015)
European Board of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (2015)
Certificate of Completion of Training in Plastic Surgery (2016)
Awards and Distinctions
World Biomedical Frontiers commentary on my publication in Breast Journal 2015 for innovation & potential impact (2016)
BAAPS Travelling Fellowship in Aesthetic Surgery, Banff, Canada (2015)
National Selection for Plastic Surgery Training Scotland – ranked first (2009)
Hem/Onc Today commentary on my publication in Eur J Cancer on prolonged disease-free survival in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers (2006)
Rector’s Award for Original Research on genetics of breast/ovarian cancer syndromes Medical University of Gdansk, Poland (2006)
PhD Research Grant from European Commission for Research (Eurogendis) via Marie Curie Fellowship to work in Human Genetics at Leiden University Medical Centre, Netherlands; selection process took place at Karolinska University, Sweden (one of 5 PhD students selected in 2002)
Erasmus Student Exchange Scholarship University of Antwerp, Belgium (1999)
Medical Anatomy Knowledge Award (Scapula Aurea) Medical University of Gdansk, Poland (1995)
- Stewart K, Majdak-Paredes EJ. Injury patterns in acquired ear deformities. Facial Plast Surg 2015;31(6):645-56
- Majdak-Paredes EJ, Shafighi M, Fatah F. Integrated algorithm for reconstruction of complex forms of Poland syndrome: 20-years outcomes. JPRAS 2015;68(10):1386-94
- Majdak-Paredes EJ, Schaverien MV, Szychta P, Raine C, Dixon JM. Intra-operative digital specimen radiology reduces re-operation rates in therapeutic mammaplasty for breast cancer. Breast 2015;24(5):556-9
- Schaverien MV, Raine C, Majdak-Paredes EJ, Dixon M. Therapeutic mammoplasty – extending indications and achieving low incomplete excision rates. Eur J Surg Oncol 2013; 39(4): 329-33
- Majdak-Paredes EJ, Shafighi M, Fatah F. Custom-made tissue expanders in reconstructive surgery for challenging defects. Eur J Plastic Surg 2013 36:13-20
- Majdak-Paredes EJ, Goon P, Bardsley AF. JPRAS 2009 Feb;62(2):181-9 'An approach to complex tracheostomal complications' by CJ Baldwin and MI Leddington - comment. – Letter to the Editor.
- Majdak-Paredes EJ, Fatah F ‘Hereditary breast cancer syndromes and clinical implications – review’ JPRAS 2009 Feb;62(2):181-9.
- Majdak-Paredes EJ. ‘Intravenous regional anaesthesia administered by the operating plastic surgeon: is it safe and efficient? Experience of a Medical Center – Letter to the Editor.’ PRS 2008 Jul;122(1):322; author reply 322-3
- Majdak-Paredes EJ, Shafighi M, Fatah F ‘Unilateral hypoplastic breast in a male-to-female transsexual with Poland syndrome after gender reassignment – reconstructive considerations’ JPRAS 2008 Jul 16. 2009 Mar;62(3):398-401
- Majdak-Paredes EJ, Shafighi M, Sterne GD. ‘An unusual case of galactorrhea in a postmenopausal woman complicating breast reduction. Review.’ JPRAS 2009 Apr62(4):542-6
- Majdak EJ, Cornelisse CJ, Devilee P, Emerich J, Jassem J, De Bock GH et al. ‘Prognostic impact of BRCA1 pathogenic and BRCA1/2 unclassified variant mutation on recurrence and death in patients with hereditary breast/ovarian cancer syndrome’ Cancer 2005 1;104(5):1004-12 (According to Pubmed this article had 35 citations)
- Majdak EJ, De Bock GH, Cornelisse CJ, Jassem J, Emerich J, Limon J, Devilee P et al. ‘Prevalence and clinical correlations of BRCA1/2 unclassified variant carriers among unselected primary ovarian cancer cases – preliminary report’ Eur J Cancer 2005 Jan;41(1):143-50
- Majdak EJ, Emerich J, de Bock GH et al. ‘Comparison of recurrence and survival in patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer treated with pacltaxel and cisplatin versus cisplatin/cyclophosphamide as first line chemotherapy’ Abstract. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2004; 14 (supp 1): 169 – 170.
- Mielcarek P, Majdak E, Emerich J et al. ‘Quality of life in ovarian cancer patients treated for recurrences’ Abstract. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2004; 14 (supp 1): 193-194.
- Majdak EJ, Devilee P, Emerich J, Limon J, de Bock GH, Cornelisse CJ et al. ‘Clinical and molecular characteristics of ovarian cancer BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers and unclassified variants’ Abstract. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2004; 14 (supp 1): 222-223.
- Majdak EJ. ‘Clinical and molecular characteristics of ovarian cancer BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers and unclassified variants’ Abstract. Int J Gynecol Obst 2004; 83 (supp 1): 358-359.