Since his appointment to the Royal Infirmary Mr Zanellato has been able to concentrate on gastrointestinal surgery, primarily related to biliary disease and develop interests in complex laparoscopic procedures. He is also interested in trauma and emergency surgery.
Appointments and Activities
Mr Zanellato is currently Consultant General Surgeon at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and is also an honorary senior lecturer at the University of Edinburgh. He is also involved in the development of the new Trauma Unit.
Past – Clinical Work
Born in Curitiba, Brazil, Mr Zanellato graduated from Evangelica School of Medicine – actually MacKenzie University in 1993 and, immediately after, undertook his surgical training in Evangelico University Hospital. In 1997, he spent some time as Lieu Tenant Surgeon in the Brazilian Army Hospital as compulsory military service and undertook research investigating the role of external temperature in haemorrhagic shock in rats following which he was awarded a MD thesis from Federal University of Parana. His first appointment was Consultant Trauma Surgeon with Emphasis on Tertiary Trauma Care performing complex trauma surgeries. Simultaneous, he used to work as General Surgeon in a district Hospital in Pinhais and establish his own practice with emphasis on GI and Obesity Surgery. In 2011, He had a career break for developing of the medical Emergency and Trauma Response Team as well as re-built and develops the Community Hospital at Soyo, Angola. In 2015, he came to UK where he did Post CCT Clinical Fellowship in HPB Surgery at Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College, London.
Past – Academic Work
- Senior Lecturer in Trauma Surgery at Federal University of Parana, Brazil.
- Senior Lecturer in Pre-Hospital Care at Federal University of Parana, Brazil.
- Lecturer in Postgraduate Course in Traffic Medicine at Federal University of Parana, Brazil.
- Honorary Lecturer of Surgery - University of Christiana Boliva (UCEBOL)
- Honorary Lecturer of Surgery - University Aquino de Boliva (UDABOL)
Mr Zanellato's educational qualifications are:
- MEDICO (MBBS), Evangelica Medical School, 1993
- Fellow Brazilian College of Surgeons (FBCS), Curitiba, 1999
- Doctor of Medicine, Federal University to Parana, 2001
- Fellow of European Board of Surgeons (FEBS) 2017
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons (FACS) 2017
- Fellow Portuguese College of Surgeons (FPCS) 2020
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCSEd Gen Surg), Edinburgh, 2020
Awards and Memberships
Affiliated Fellow in Pan American Trauma Society 1995
CAPES SCHOLARSHIPS – MD in Surgery, UFPR, Curitiba, Brazil 1996
Travelling Scholarship in Emergency and Pre-Hospital Medical Care of Stage 75, SAMU, in Paris from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France 1997
Fellow of the Brazilian Society of Laparoscopic Surgery 1997
Fellow of the Brazilian College of Digestive Surgery 2001
Fellow of the Brazilian Society for Bariatric Surgery and Metabolic 2002
Teaching Excellence Award by the Students of the Paranaense College in Biomedical Sciences 1992
Teaching Excellence Award by Graduating Medical Students of UCEBOL 2004
Freedom of the City by Chamber of Councillors of the Curitiba - Honor bestowed by a municipality for implementation of Trauma Unit. 2006