Mr Zanellato has been able to concentrate on abdominal wall reconstruction and hernia surgery and has interests in complex laparoscopic procedures. He is also interested in trauma and emergency surgery.
Appointments and Activities
Mr Zanellato is currently Consultant General Surgeon at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and is also an honorary senior lecturer at the University of Edinburgh. He is also involved in implementation of Skyglass for laparoscopic bile duct exploration. His main focus is the Abdominal Reconstruction and Emergency/Trauma Surgery.
Mr Zanellato actively participates in surgical teaching within the University of Edinburgh medical school as well as Foundation Year doctors and Specialist at Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.
European Hernia Society. Task Force Member of the Education Board
NOTSS (Non Technical Skills for Surgeons) faculty Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Link: Non-Technical Skills for Surgeons (NOTSS) | RCSEd
Deputy Programme Director MsC in Surgical Sciences.
Editorial Board (reviewer) member for the World Journal of Surgery (WJES) and the Annals of Surgery and Medicine.
Past – Clinical Work
Born in Curitiba, Brazil, Mr Zanellato graduated from Evangelica School of Medicine – actually MacKenzie University. Immediately after, he undertook his surgical training in Evangelico University Hospital. In 1997, he spent some time as Lieu Tenant Surgeon in the Brazilian Army Hospital as compulsory military service and undertook research investigating the role of external temperature in haemorrhagic shock in rats following which he was awarded a MD thesis from Federal University of Parana. His first appointment was Consultant Trauma Surgeon with Emphasis on Tertiary Trauma Care performing complex trauma surgeries. Simultaneous, he used to work as General Surgeon in a district Hospital in Pinhais and establish his own practice with emphasis on GI and Obesity Surgery. In 2011, He had a career break for developing of the medical Emergency and Trauma Response Team as well as re-built and develops the Community Hospital at Soyo, Angola. In 2015, he moved to UK where he did Post CCT Clinical Fellowship in HPB Surgery at Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College, London.
Past – Academic Work
- Senior Lecturer in Trauma Surgery at Federal University of Parana
- Senior Lecturer in Pre-Hospital Care at Federal University of Parana
- Lecturer in Traffic Medicine Post graduation at Federal University of Parana
- Honorary Lecturer of Surgery - University of Christiana Bolivia
- Honorary Lecturer of Surgery - University Aquino de Bolivia
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) 1993
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) 2001
- Fellow Brazilian College of Surgeons (FBCS)
- Fellow of European Board of Surgeons (FEBS)
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS Ed)
Awards and Memberships
- Affiliated Fellow in Pan American Trauma Society 1995
- CAPES SCHOLARSHIPS - MD in Surgery, UFPR, Curitiba, Brazil 1996
- Travelling Scholarship in Emergency and Pre-Hospital Medical Care of Stage 75, SAMU, in Paris from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France 1997
- Fellow of the Brazilian Society of Laparoscopic Surgery 1997
- Fellow of the Brazilian College of Digestive Surgery 2001
- Fellow of the Brazilian Society for Bariatric Surgery and Metabolic 2002
- Teaching Excellence Award by the Students of the Paranaense College in Biomedical Sciences 1992
- Teaching Excellence Award by Graduating Medical Students of UCEBOL 2004
- Freedom of the City by Chamber of Councillors of the Curitiba - Honor bestowed by a municipality for implementation of Trauma Unit. 2006