Mr Robertson is a Consultant General & Bariatric Surgeon at the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh and an Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Edinburgh. His subspecialist interest is in bariatric surgery.
He has an interest in undergraduate and post-graduate teaching. He teaches on the Edinburgh Surgical Online Courses (Link) as a tutor on the ChM course and a Clinical Lead for a Module on the MSc in Surgical Sciences. He also teaches on the European Association for Endoscopic Surgery (EAES) Laparoscopic Upper GI Surgery Course at the Dundee Institute for Healthcare Simulation and is on the bariatric committee for The Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons Society (TUGSS). He is a reviewer for various surgical journals and has an ongoing research interest.
After completing Foundation Training in the West of Scotland. Mr Robertson undertook a research fellowship at the Northern Oesophago-Gastric Unit, Newcastle resulting in a PhD. His surgical training was then undertaken in the South-East Scotland. This was followed by a Senior Royal College of Surgeons Accredited Bariatric Clinical Fellowship at Musgrove Park, Hospital, and Taunton. Prior to returning to Edinburgh, Mr Robertson was working as a consultant general and bariatric surgeon in NHS Fife.
- -Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh (FRCSEd).
- -Member of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh (MFSTEd).
- -Doctor of Philosophy, Newcastle University (PhD).
- -Batchelor of Medicine and Batchelor of Surgery (Honours), University of Glasgow MB ChB (Hons).
- -Batchelor of Science (Honours) Anatomy, University of Glasgow BSc (Hons).
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- Member of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers.
- British Obesity and Metabolic Surgical Society
- British Hernia Society
- The Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons Society.
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders.
- British Obesity & Metabolic Surgical Society, Council Prize for best presentation.
- The Royal College of Surgeons, England Senior Clinical Fellowship Scheme.
- The Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland ‘Gold’ Medal & Prize.
- The Syme Medal: Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- The George Feggetter Medal- North of England Surgical Society.
- Distinction- Final professional MBChB written and clinical examinations.
- Stuart Brown Memorial Prize- Anatomy.
A list of Mr Robertson’s publications are available on Researchgate and PubMed and his publications can be accessed here.