I am a Consultant ENT Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer at the University of Edinburgh. I sub-specialise in ear surgery, hearing implants and balance medicine.
Appointments and Activities
I qualified from Guy's & St Thomas' Hospitals, London and undertook ENT training in London and East Anglia, including an Otology Fellowship in Cambridge and a Balance Fellowship in St Louis. During my training I achieved a distinction in my Masters in Surgical Education, Imperial College, London.
My current research interest is in unilateral aural atresia having pioneered combining Hearing Implant Surgery with autologous reconstruction in the UK within the Scottish National Service. I am also currently the local principle investigator on Improving outcomes in Necrotising Otitis Externa and the STARFISH Trial into sudden hearing loss. I am the ENT member of the NICE committee for the Management of Otitis Media with Effusion in Children.
I am appointed:
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, 2010 to present
- Clinical Supervisor, NHS Education for Scotland, 2010 to present
- Fellow of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers, RCSEd, 2018 to present
National and International courses:
- The Complete Ear Surgery Course, RCSEd, 2014 to present (Convenor)
- The Edinburgh ‘hands-on’ Balance Course, RCSEd, 2018 to present (Convenor).
- British Society of Otology Annual Meeting, Edinburgh, 2019 (Faculty)
- FRCS ORL-HNS Revision Course, Dundee, 2019 to present (faculty)
- 10th International conference on cholesteatoma and ear surgery, Edinburgh, 2016 (faculty)
- 20th Surgical Course on Tympanoplasty and Mastoidectomy, Ipswich, 2016 (faculty)
- Temporal Bone Dissection Course, Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, 2010 to present (Faculty)
- Scottish ENT Update Course, Aberdeen, 2017 (faculty)
- GP Hot Topics, Edinburgh, 2014 (faculty)
- BAPRAS Advanced Educational Course, Manchester, 2014 (faculty)
- Bennett AMD, Yeo J, Yung M. Stapedectomy. http://www.e-lefent.org.uk/
- Bennett AMD. Acute otitis media. In ‘ENT and Head and Neck Emergencies: A Logan Turner Companion Guide’. CRC Press, 2018
- Bennett AMD, Hathorn I. The Ear, Nose and Sinuses. In ‘Bailey & Love's Short Practice of Surgery, 27th Edition’. CRC Press, 2018
- Bennett AMD. ENT. In ‘General Practice: The Clinical Survival Guide’. Pp. 63-75. Pastest Ltd. 2005
I am appointed:
- Council Member British Society of Otology, 2019 to present
- External Advisor on Scottish Consultant Appointment Committees, Academy of Royal Colleges and Faculties in Scotland, 2012 to present
- Member Otolaryngology Surgical Specialty Board, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd), 2014 to present
- National procurement for hearing implants advisory panel, 2017-2018
- National Patient, Public & Professional Reference Group, 2015-2019
- ENT Representative Medical Advisory Committee Spire Hospital, Edinburgh, 2017 to present
- Masters in Surgical Education with distinction, Imperial College, London 2009.
- FRCS (ORL-HNS), Intercollegiate Board of Great Britain, 2008.
- Paediatric Life Support Provider, European Resuscitation Council, 2003.
- Diploma of Laryngology and Otology, Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2002.
- Advanced Trauma and Life Support Provider, Resuscitation Council (UK), 2001.
- Advanced Life Support Provider, Resuscitation Council (UK), 1999.
- MBBS, United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals London, 1998.
To see Alex Bennett's list of publications, please click here.