Daniele Falcioni obtained his Master’s Degree in 'Italian & European Studies at the Sapienza', University of Rome, in 2015, with a dissertation on Girolamo Bartolommei and his "Drammi musicali" (1656). His current PhD research at the University of Edinburgh focuses on the early printed auto-anthologies of opera librettos in Italy (1631-1656).
In addition to his academic studies, he taught Creative Writing in Italian (2015-21).
Daniele is also a published poet and writer.
- Master’s Degree in Language & Literature: Italian & European Studies | 2015, Sapienza Università di Roma
- Bachelor’s Degree in Literature, Music & Performing Arts | 2009, Sapienza Università di Roma
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Course Organiser for Italian 1, Oral for Italian, Foundation Italian Language 2, Guided Socio-Cultural Studies (Italian)
- Tutor for Italian language courses
- Viaggio in Italia fra Letteratura e Melanconia (1807-2005) | Italian 3, Guided Language Study (2020-21)
- In Other Words: Jhumpa Lahiri and “her” Italian Short Stories | Italian 1, Cultural Studies (2021-22)
Daniele has also taught Italian language courses at all undergraduate levels and supervised dissertations in Italian.
- Relationship between Poetry and Music
- Modern and Contemporary Italian Culture
Member of the 'Italian Literature International Observatory': https://site.unibo.it/ilio/en.
- Sapienza, University of Rome, April 16, 2019. Musicology: 'Verso Metastasio: le prime cinque auto-antologie di melodrammi da leggere (1631-1656)'.
- Univeristy of Edinburgh, February 8, 2021: 'Melanconia e Boito. I monologhi di Amleto, Mefistofele e Jago'.
- University of Edinburgh, June 26-28, 2019. SIS Biennal Conference: 'Opera as “poesia per musica”: Musical-poetic choices in Seicento Italy' (panel organiser).
- University of Bologna, May 12-13, 2022. Italian Literature International Observatory: 'I “Racconti italiani” chiamati a raccolta da Jhumpa Lahiri: una sorta di gioco del rovescio'.
- University of Edinburgh, June 26-28, 2019. SIS Biennial Conference: 'Tragicomic Melancholy, Poetry and Music in Bartolommei's "Drammi Musicali" (1656)'.
- Italian Cultural Institute (Edinburgh), October 10, 2018. L’italiano (e le sue varietà) nella rete: problemi descrittivi e aspetti di carattere generale: 'Il laboratorio di social writing Voci nuove'.
- University of Cambridge (UK), September 20-21, 2018. Intersections: Between Music and Theatre in Seicento Italy: 'Benedetto Ferrari's "Poesie drammatiche" (1644): A Literary Enterprise Within the Musical Theatre'.
- ‘Poesia e Musica nei “Drammi musicali” di Girolamo Bartolommei. Prime inquisizioni’ (Bollettino di Italianistica, n.s., XV, 2018, 1, pp. 111-19).