Head of Website & Communication Technologies
Argyle House, Floor H West
3 Lady Lawson Street
- Post code
- EH3 9DR
Stratos is leading the Website & Communications section, supporting the University's key strategic goals, while overseeing the management and support of the corporate University’s Web Presence by leading management of related web interfaces and experiences. This includes the corporate University Website, its underlying Web Content Management System (EdWeb), the Student & Staff Portal (MyEd), and the User Experience, Website Development and Graphic Design services.
Stratos joined the University in 2013 and has worked in a number of roles supporting and managing the technical delivery of the corporate web CMS and associated digital services, including the University web search engine.
Before joining the University, he ran his own web development company in his native Greece, through which he rolled out a number of websites in the fields of e-commerce, crowdsourcing and tourism.
Having an interest in technology and digital strategy, Stratos spends a lot of effort being updated on the latest developments in areas related with digital leadership, web technologies, service management, project and business methodologies and techniques, and user behaviour and experience.
Stratos' expertise relies in digital leadership, service and change management. This is underpinned by the ITIL Intermediate Certificate in Release, Control and Validation certificate.
His years of web development experience are built upon his MSc in Distributed and Multimedia Information Systems, studied at Heriot-Watt University in 2003.
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Lead the Website & Communications section, direct and motivate its staff, providing an excellent user-focused service for staff and students.
- Ensuring ISG and the University's strategic vision and objectives is actively supported through leading management of its online presence.
- Promote best practice in the delivery of corporate web services.
- Leading communications, fostering consensus and coordinating activity across the University's devolved web management community.
- Contribute to the leadership and strategy of the Learning, Teaching and Web Services Directorate, to support the development of first-class learning, web and communication services to the University.
- Web Governance Group - The group's remit is to ensure the efficacy of the University website, secure funding and resources and be accountable for key priorities.
- ISG Learning, Teaching and Web Services Senior Management Team - The team consists of LTW senior managers and confirms alignment of strategy to fulfil common objectives.
Stratos is involved in a range of projects relating to the University's corporate web services, having senior stakeholder roles. Main areas covered are the:
- The corporate University Website and all content delivered under https://www.ed.ac.uk.
- The corporate Web CMS, EdWeb, and the standalone web development tool, EdWeb Distribution.
- The student and staff portal, MyEd.
- The central University Web Search (https://search.ed.ac.uk).
- University's digital design framework, EdGEL.
Recent projects list
Future Web Services - Τo transform the Website and Communications section into a unified, cross-functional team and to adopt leading practices in product development.
Procurement and implementation of the University's Web Publishing Platform
- Procurement and Implementation of a new University Web Search - Delivery of a new central University Web Search.
- Online learning student journeys - Review of the online learning student digital experience and delivery of a pilot.
- Drupal 8 Implementation Planning - Research and planning to enable migration of the University Website to the Drupal 8 platform.
- University-wide Web CMS (EdWeb) - Delivery of a new underlying Web CMS, powered by the Drupal Content Management Framework, and migration of University Website content to the new platform.
- DrupalCon Global 2020.
- Regular annual attendance of Digital Leaders conference.
- Thunder Day 2017 - Innovation via collaboration. Presenting: An overview on how the University of Edinburgh supports collaboration in developing its corporate Web CMS, EdWeb.
- IWMW 2017 - Building a collaborative culture in an institution. Presenting: The journey behind building frameworks and tools to foster collaboration, generate efficiencies, harmonise web services delivery and, ultimately, lead to a huge cultural change.
- DrupalCamp Scotland 2015 - Presenting: EdWeb, or How the University of Edinburgh embraced Drupal and introduced a renewed website service.
- The road to the new University Website platform and services - Detailing the strategy behind seeking a supplier partner to deliver a new University Web Publishing Platform.
- Our commitment to open source - How the University is supporting open source and its principles.
- Respecting the privacy of University websites’ visitors across the estate - A review of the University's approach in ensuring the highest privacy quality standards.