Professor Siân Bayne
Personal Chair of Digital Education
- MA (Hons) English Literature
- PhD 'Learning Cultures in Cyberspace'
Responsibilities & affiliations
Director, Centre for Research in Digital Education
Director of Education, Edinburgh Futures Institute
Assistant Principal Digital Education
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Areas of interest for supervision
I am interested in taking PhD students who are interested in critical approaches to digital education.
Current PhD students supervised
- Christopher Hambley: Spatial theory and the Media Hub
- Clara O'Shea: Kinds of learning and kinds of play: an exploration of identity development in formal and informal learning
- James Lamb: Learning spaces
- Noreen Dunnet: Engagement and play
- Stuart Allan: Enactments of learning design
Past PhD students supervised
- Jeremy Knox: Critical posthumanist perspectives on the Open Educational Resource movement
- Michela Clari: In the hands of the user: changing patterns of participation and learning through the digital collections of the Royal Commmission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Jen Ross: Online reflective practices and performances in Higher Education
- Lulu Mahai: Rural students experiences at the Open University of Tanzania
- Phil Sheail: Time-shifting in the digital university: temporality and online distance education
- Pete Evans: The precarious realities of professional learning
My research is focused on digital education, education futures, interdisciplinarity, critical approaches to data and automation and digital pedagogy.