Professor Siân Bayne
Personal Chair of Digital Education
Moray House School of Education, SJ 4.07
- University of Edinburgh (Holyrood Campus)
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
- MA (Hons) English Literature
- PhD 'Learning Cultures in Cyberspace'
Responsibilities & affiliations
Director, Centre for Research in Digital Education
Director of Education, Edinburgh Futures Institute
Assistant Principal Digital Education
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Areas of interest for supervision
I am interested in taking PhD students who are interested in critical approaches to digital education.
Current PhD students supervised
- Christopher Hambley: Spatial theory and the Media Hub
- Clara O'Shea: Kinds of learning and kinds of play: an exploration of identity development in formal and informal learning
- James Lamb: Learning spaces
- Noreen Dunnet: Engagement and play
- Stuart Allan: Enactments of learning design
Past PhD students supervised
- Jeremy Knox: Critical posthumanist perspectives on the Open Educational Resource movement
- Michela Clari: In the hands of the user: changing patterns of participation and learning through the digital collections of the Royal Commmission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Jen Ross: Online reflective practices and performances in Higher Education
- Lulu Mahai: Rural students experiences at the Open University of Tanzania
- Phil Sheail: Time-shifting in the digital university: temporality and online distance education
- Pete Evans: The precarious realities of professional learning
My research is focused on digital education, education futures, interdisciplinarity, critical approaches to data and automation and digital pedagogy.
Affiliated research centres
For current and recent research projects, please see the Centre for Research in Digital Education website.