Dr Paul McMillan
St Leonard's Land, Room G8
- Moray House School of Education
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
Paul worked for six years as a full-time Physical Education teacher at Earlston High School (August 2003 – August 2009) and more recently as a teaching fellow (August 2009 – August 2017) then lecturer (August 2017 – present) at the Moray House School of Education, University of Edinburgh. While working as a teacher, he completed a Master’s Degree in Physical Education and Youth Sport on a part-time basis (University of Edinburgh, 2009). Paul's PhD (University of Edinburgh, 2016) was titled, 'Weaving a Pedagogical Web: A Qualitative Investigation of Secondary Physical Education Teachers' Practice'. He is currently Co-subject Leader for the Physical Education strand of the PGDE (Secondary) programme.
Responsibilities & affiliations
Paul is a reviewer of papers for the following academic journals: European Physical Education Review; Professional Development in Education.
- Education Studies 1A
- Physical Education Curriculum and Pedagogy 1
- Physical Education Curriculum and Pedagogy 2
- Physical Education Curriculum 4A
- Physical Education Research 4C
- Professional Development and Leadership
- PGDE Physical Education (Secondary)
- Doctorate in Education (EdD) second supervisor for Andrina Inglis – Thesis title: ‘How do teachers conceptualise their classroom actions with student teachers’?
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Areas of interest for supervision
Paul would welcome enquiries from students interested in pursuing MSc and PhD research in the areas of pedagogy, qualitative classroom research, and physical education.
- Teachers' (inter)actions in the classroom
- Qualitative research methods
- Sport Education
- Complex Pedagogy Research Project
- Practitioner Enquiry Research Project
- Professional Issues in Physical Education Survey (PIPES)
- Toogood, J.; Allison, P.; McMillan, P. and Jess, M. (2014) Analysing Constraints to Participation in Snowsports for Pre-service Teachers, Current Issues in Tourism Research, Vol. 4: 1, pp. 19-40.
- McMillan, P. (2017) Understanding Physical Education Teachers' Day-To-Day Practice: Challenging the 'Unfair' Picture. In Thorburn, M. (Ed) Transforming Learning and Teaching in Physical Education. London, Routledge.
- Jess, M.; Carse, N.; McMillan, P. and Atencio, M. (2011), The Emergence of Sport Education in Scottish Primary Schools. In Hastie, P. (Ed) Sport Education: International Perspectives. London, Routledge.
- Carse, N., McMillan, P., Jess, M. and McIntyre, J. (2017) Developing Principles for Collaborative Professional Learning Through Self-Study, Scottish Educational Research Association (SERA) Annual Conference, Ayr, Scotland, 22nd-24th November 2017;
- Jess, M., Carse, N. and McMillan, P. (2016) The School Physical Education Curriculum: An Overarching Educational Proposal, Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Annual Conference, Melbourne, Victoria, 27th November - 1st December 2016;
- Jess, M., McMillan, P. and Allison, P. (2016) Pedagogy: A More Complex Picture? Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Annual Conference, Melbourne, Victoria, 27th November - 1st December 2016;
- McMillan, P. (2016) Re-examining Physical Education Teachers' Practice: Sketching A 'Messier' Picture, Scottish Educational Research Association (SERA) Annual Conference, Dundee, Scotland, 23rd-25th November 2016;
- McMillan, P. (2014) Early Secondary Physical Education: An Insight. Presentation as part of the 'Primary and Early Secondary Physical Education in Scotland: Moving Forward' Symposium at the Scottish Educational Research Association (SERA) Annual Conference, Edinburgh, Scotland, 19th-21st November 2014;
- McMillan, P. (2013) “To See Oursels”: A Qualitative Investigation of Secondary Physical Education Teachers’ Practice in Scotland, International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP), Warsaw, Poland, 4th – 7th July 2013.
- Horrell, A. and McMillan, P. (2012) Physical activity a 'National Priority Performance Measure' without measurement. International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport Session, Glasgow, Scotland, 19th-24th July 2012;
- Horrell, A. and McMillan, P. (2012) Physical activity a ‘National Priority Performance Measure' without measurement. British Educational Research Association at the University of Manchester, England, from 4th - 6th September 2012;
- Horrell, A. and McMillan, P. (2011) SPARColl Conference. Poster Presentation. ‘Physical Activity: A National Priority Performance Measure Without Measurement. 23 September 2011 at Strathclyde University, Jordanhill Campus, Glasgow, Scotland;
- McMillan, P. and Atencio, M. (2010) Sport Education in Secondary Physical Education. National Conference on Physical Education in Scotland: Entering a Decade of Complex Change. 26 March 2010.
- McMillan, P. (2016) The Rise of Pedagogy. Physical Education Research Forum Blog, University of Edinburgh. Available at: http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/peresearch/
- McMillan, P. (2017) Pedagogy: Exploring Definitions. Physical Education Research Forum Blog, University of Edinburgh. Available at: http://www.blogs.hss.ed.ac.uk/peresearch/